Contribute
Register

AMD 5700 XT crashing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changing the maximum frequency of the memory on the GPU. Default it is set to 1750, with the custom powertable it is now set to 1000.

It does but I do not need all the performance under OSX.

I had this issue. I found turning ON PCIE power management in the BIOS solved it.

Can you tell us what settings you used for power management? I'm using a Sapphire 5700 XT Nitro+ and a GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK motherboard with 4 options when I turn on Platform Power Management:

• PEG ASPM (Default: Auto)
• PCIe ASPM (Default: Auto)
• CPU DMI Link ASPM Control (Default: L0sL1)
• PCH DMI Link ASPM Control (Default: Enabled)

I've disabled all except left PCIe ASPM to Auto. First difference I've noticed is that when I move my mouse cursor during a screensaver; it responds immediately. Before it would flicker a couple times. I'm running Big Sur 11.1 on OpenCore 0.6.5 with a 4790K processor and 16GB RAM (in their correct slots).

I've been having random freezing, black screens and reboots all the time. Sometimes they occur when idle, other times when loading a YouTube video, sometimes before a game loads in steam but MOST often after a game has finished playing and it tries to go into the main menu. (using GRID: Autosport benchmark to test this).

I hope this change fixes it. I've tried changing SMBIOS from 15,1 to 14,4 and iMac Pro 1,1; nothing has helped. Only other thing I can think at this point is to try agpminjector kext with Platform Power Management turned on and off.

Removing the 5700 XT and running only with the HD 4600 iGPU makes the Hackintosh run perfectly, logging into the OS also proved seamless but with the 5700 XT the screen does go black ONCE when entering my account password.

I enabled these 3.

• PEG ASPM (Default: Auto)
• PCIe ASPM (Default: Auto)
• PCH DMI Link ASPM Control (Default: Enabled)
Tried it. With AGPMInjector kext as well. Tried the different BIOS switches on the card itself too; still crashes. I don't think I tried it while disabling Platform Power Management in BIOS while having AGPMInjector running. Might give it a shot (I really doubt that'll fix it).

I think the 5700 XT I got is a dud (I got it used). Crashes happen in Windows too but FAR less often; mostly during game though. I've used the same BIOS settings and EFI folder setup with High Sierra, put back in my GTX 970 and downgraded. We'll see how it runs now, I'm absolutely fed up with the 5700 XT, I've spent about 10 days trying to figure out why the Hackintosh is suddenly giving errors with a natively compatible Mac OS card whereas the GTX 970 I had before ran PERFECTLY in Chimera and Clover. OpenCore and 5700 XT is a complete miserable failure. I've been wanting to move past High Sierra with a solid card for 1440p gaming on the Windows side, the 5700 XT is really the only choice.

I have no clue what to do now;
• sell the card? Get a GTX 1080 Ti?
• Wait for 6800 drivers in Big Sur?
• Get another 5700 XT that isn't garbage (used, since everything is sold out).
• Or wait for the 5700 XT to be in stock again and buy it brand new?

FWIW, I bought another 5700XT and had the same crashing problems until I changed those BIOS settings. So, buying another one in this market may just lead to further frustration.

I never used AGPMInjector with it.
Do you think a new system would help? I was planning on buying new hardware anyway in March/April; new motherboard and a Rocket Lake CPU. I'm thinking of holding onto the card if as you say another one won't help.

I paid $450 USD for it, given the scarcity of AMD cards, it's a fair deal. The previous owner of this card said he never had issues with it (used it as an eGPU on a Mac).

Do you think a new system would help? I was planning on buying new hardware anyway in March/April; new motherboard and a Rocket Lake CPU. I'm thinking of holding onto the card if as you say another one won't help.

I paid $450 USD for it, given the scarcity of AMD cards, it's a fair deal. The previous owner of this card said he never had issues with it (used it as an eGPU on a Mac).
No way to answer your question - would be pure conjecture. Just sharing what stabilized mine.

Is there any warranty left on the card? May want to try an RMA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back