AMD 390x Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
z270
CPU
Graphics
Vega 64
I have recently put in a 390x into my mackintosh but I seem to be having some issues with the card.

Here is the build:

OSX Sierra 10.12
Intel 6700k
Gigabyte Z170MX Gaming 5
HP AMD R9 390X Aries-E3 8GB Video Card
Gigabyte AMD HD 7870

The problem I am facing is making the card work properly. I am right now making the card work by booting with the 7870 pluged in and then switching the DVI cable to the 390x DVI port one and then the second DVI port on the card. I don't know why i need to switch a second time, but graphics acceleration will not happen if I don't. I followed everything from this guy https://techbangtheory.com/2016/06/26/skylake-hackintosh-with-dual-amd-r9-390x/
If anyone could give me some advice, I don't want to have 2 giant GPUs in my pc and only use one. I have tried this setup with a Nvida 730 but I found a hit on graphical performance so somehow it is using both GPUs.

I have recently put in a 390x into my mackintosh but I seem to be having some issues with the card.

Here is the build:

OSX Sierra 10.12
Intel 6700k
Gigabyte Z170MX Gaming 5
HP AMD R9 390X Aries-E3 8GB Video Card
Gigabyte AMD HD 7870

The problem I am facing is making the card work properly. I am right now making the card work by booting with the 7870 pluged in and then switching the DVI cable to the 390x DVI port one and then the second DVI port on the card. I don't know why i need to switch a second time, but graphics acceleration will not happen if I don't. I followed everything from this guy https://techbangtheory.com/2016/06/26/skylake-hackintosh-with-dual-amd-r9-390x/
If anyone could give me some advice, I don't want to have 2 giant GPUs in my pc and only use one. I have tried this setup with a Nvida 730 but I found a hit on graphical performance so somehow it is using both GPUs.

I have never heard of an HP R9 390X - is it reference design? With my XFX I had to use Clover to load a VBIOS from a reference design card as XFX do funny things with their BIOS - you might want to try the same with your card. After loading a reference VBIOS I had zero issues with my 390X apart from HDMI Audio & Sleep (which is normal).

It is a reference style one they use it in servers (plus it was cheap) and i so far got both cards to work after turning of igpu and getting Final Cut Pro working. I also believe my card has a switch for dual bios but I will look up more on the vbios and try that later today, thanks!

I tried to do some research on vbios, but I'm having trouble finding an easy disciption of what to do and what to look for in a bios. All I can find is what a vbios is and how to flash it on windows. I couldn't even find one here that I can understand. Anyone know a link to a how-to of vbios.

Update, I just turned of igpu (I left it on by accident) and swapped out 7870 with a 730 and it somehow works better? I am getting better fps and there is no glitching or need for switching dvi ports. Plus my wifi card now fits. I still think I want to do a vbios flash but right now it is working and I just haven't had the time to do the research I want to do before flashing. I will update when I get to that part. If anyone has any pointers, let me know.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back