Contribute
Register

Alternative 2.5" SSD drive to recommend for Larger storage for my old build and Mojave & above OSX (future upgrade)

Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H
CPU
i7-3770
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi all,

After upgrading to Mojave from Maverick using the same old build z77 motherboard and Ivy Bridge CPU, I'm feeling that I am running out of space on my OSX drive. Currently, I am using 256gb 840Pro Samsung for my Mojave OSX boot drive and is need to add more space to run hungry software I have installed and planning to do some photo and video editing for my kid when he is born in Sept.

My plan currently without upgrading to a whole new up-to-date Harare component and go through the headache to figure things out. I'm happy with the current Mojave and build I'm running.
I need a bigger drive possibly 512gb or 1tb to run OSX boot drive and to do video and photo editing. Then move this 256gb Samsung SSD drive to the Window boot. Anyone here has an alternative Brand/model drive to get besides the Samsung 860 EVO or PRO that is highly rated? I want a drive that can work on my current drive and can be use later with the updates to the latest OSX version like Catalina 10.15. Please let me know your pick. I like the speed for writing and reading when I render videos and photos. Thanks

Going Bald

Motherboard
GA-X58A-UD7-F7
CPU
W3670
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Suggest you leave your setup as it is and just add an enterprise server class SSD for your storage needs.
A Samsung 883 would be a good choice or a Seagate Nytro if you have a SAS port.

Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H
CPU
i7-3770
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Suggest you leave your setup as it is and just add an enterprise server class SSD for your storage needs.
A Samsung 883 would be a good choice or a Seagate Nytro if you have a SAS port.

I dont think I have a SAS port? what is that anyways? I have 2 other 1tb hard drive and it will be slow for me to transfer files between my SSD drive for photos and videos. that is why I wanted a seperate SSD drive to run my OSX? so the samsung 883 is good? how can I tell I have a sas port?

Going Bald

Motherboard
GA-X58A-UD7-F7
CPU
W3670
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I dont think I have a SAS port? what is that anyways? I have 2 other 1tb hard drive and it will be slow for me to transfer files between my SSD drive for photos and videos. that is why I wanted a seperate SSD drive to run my OSX? so the samsung 883 is good? how can I tell I have a sas port?
The Samsung drive is a SATA, the Seagate is a SAS. Unless you have a PCIe card with SAS ports or a server/workstation board chances are you do not have a SAS port. If your board had one, you would have found its location in the board manual.

Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H
CPU
i7-3770
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
The Samsung drive is a SATA, the Seagate is a SAS. Unless you have a PCIe card with SAS ports or a server/workstation board chances are you do not have a SAS port. If your board had one, you would have found its location in the board manual.

given my z77 board, will the Samsung 883 perform good on my setup and will the video/photos transfer have any lag? not familiar with the enterprise SSD but looks promising. how is it compare with 860 pro version of Samsung?

Going Bald

Motherboard
GA-X58A-UD7-F7
CPU
W3670
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Samsung 883 is one of the Enterprise Data Center Technology drives made for use in servers where data integrity and sustained performance is a requirement. They also are available in higher capacities than the commercially available drives like the 860 Pro. The 860 DCT might be better for the storage of files that are write once/read many times like a media or audio library.