Contribute
Register

Already Have hackintosh built, Do I need a separate NAS? Or should I use File Sharing/or install OSX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
mavericks 10.9.2
CPU
i5 3670k
Graphics
HD 4600
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hello everyone, so I've had my hackintosh built for about 4 months now and running great other then ebios read erroe but i think thats due to having a card reader installed that might not be compatible
built parts listed below:
Z87x-UD5H
8GB Ram (Probably going to upgrade to 16gb soon)
i5 4670K (not overclocked)
120gb Kingston Hyperx ssd (also have installed 128gb msata seeing if i should raid0 for boot)
2TB Portable canvio connect usb 3.0 drive
bluetooth dongle
cd/dvd drive
only using stock 4600 graphics
750w corsair power supply
osx 10.9.2

My question is I have been reading about freenas and seeing if it is worth building one if I can just make my hackintosh a file server via either osx server or the built in smb2/afp file sharing. I'm looking on buying 2-3 wd red drives and setting up a raid but seeing if I should install in hackintosh or build separate NAS?. I basically have a macbook air 11 in 2013, another windows laptop, nexus 7, and another desktop upstairs and want to be able to share across all devices fast. I bought a n750 router hooked up to hackintosh with gigabit nic (which I also have 2 intel nics on board but not sure if I can even use both for better transfer speed)
FREE NAS SEEMS PRETTY COOL, but isnt osx server the same thing with other features that I probably would not use. I'm just trying to save money not buying extra hardware if not need to do so and just buy the hard drives to install in hackintosh and finding the best advice to see what my options are. :)

Hello everyone, so I've had my hackintosh built for about 4 months now and running great other then ebios read erroe but i think thats due to having a card reader installed that might not be compatible
built parts listed below:
Z87x-UD5H
8GB Ram (Probably going to upgrade to 16gb soon)
i5 4670K (not overclocked)
120gb Kingston Hyperx ssd (also have installed 128gb msata seeing if i should raid0 for boot)
2TB Portable canvio connect usb 3.0 drive
bluetooth dongle
cd/dvd drive
only using stock 4600 graphics
750w corsair power supply
osx 10.9.2

My question is I have been reading about freenas and seeing if it is worth building one if I can just make my hackintosh a file server via either osx server or the built in smb2/afp file sharing. I'm looking on buying 2-3 wd red drives and setting up a raid but seeing if I should install in hackintosh or build separate NAS?. I basically have a macbook air 11 in 2013, another windows laptop, nexus 7, and another desktop upstairs and want to be able to share across all devices fast. I bought a n750 router hooked up to hackintosh with gigabit nic (which I also have 2 intel nics on board but not sure if I can even use both for better transfer speed)
FREE NAS SEEMS PRETTY COOL, but isnt osx server the same thing with other features that I probably would not use. I'm just trying to save money not buying extra hardware if not need to do so and just buy the hard drives to install in hackintosh and finding the best advice to see what my options are. :)

If this build is OS X only, your least expensive option is the built in file sharing. How fast will this be? Depends on what apps you have running and how many calls from the other computers on your network at the same time.

I just installed Freenas, its nice and the new version includes many plugins. I installed the Plex server plugin and I now stream music, photos, movies from freenas to my Roku (it has a plex app) and plex on my mac. I don't know much about osx server, I dont beleive it is free, like freenas.

Im looking into building a new htpc, not sure if it will be a hackintosh yet but im exploring the possibilities!!

freenas does seem awesome, yes osx server is 20$ but the thing is is freenas needs another system to run on it to make it work effectively. If I already have a high end hackintosh Im starting to think is it worth the money to build a nas, especially with the zfs and ecc ram being above 16gb for a good system nas. my hackintosh is connected to a net gear gigabit 750 router and my hackintosh has 2 intel nics in which i am only using one right now. I'm basically want to be able to stream my media to my macbook air and my other computers in the house hold, not exactly at the same time, but I stream 90% of the time via wifi from my macbook air. I did some testing via blackmagic and LAN speed test and saw using file sharing read/write speeds over wifi in the same room I'm getting 20-25MBps not sure if that is what that should be... my net gear router wifi is 300+450 2.4/5ghz and am using a macbook air which is capable of wireless ac. but been reading a lot and a lot of forums say a NAS is basically a server but just specifically for your storage while a server can do other things also. I am just trying to have my streaming from my devices without any buffering/issues and wanted to know the differences between something like osx server or a separate NAS.

freenas does seem awesome, yes osx server is 20$ but the thing is is freenas needs another system to run on it to make it work effectively. If I already have a high end hackintosh Im starting to think is it worth the money to build a nas, especially with the zfs and ecc ram being above 16gb for a good system nas. my hackintosh is connected to a net gear gigabit 750 router and my hackintosh has 2 intel nics in which i am only using one right now. I'm basically want to be able to stream my media to my macbook air and my other computers in the house hold, not exactly at the same time, but I stream 90% of the time via wifi from my macbook air. I did some testing via blackmagic and LAN speed test and saw using file sharing read/write speeds over wifi in the same room I'm getting 20-25MBps not sure if that is what that should be... my net gear router wifi is 300+450 2.4/5ghz and am using a macbook air which is capable of wireless ac. but been reading a lot and a lot of forums say a NAS is basically a server but just specifically for your storage while a server can do other things also. I am just trying to have my streaming from my devices without any buffering/issues and wanted to know the differences between something like osx server or a separate NAS.
A NAS is just what the name says - Network Attached Storage - no software of other things a server does. From your usage description you want a server or a HTPC, not a NAS.
Suggest you look in the User builds for low cost HTPC builds and copy one of them.

I have a Synology NAS. It was about £160 and I put two drives in, setup in raid for backup.

I store media on there and have a raspberry Pi on each tv in the house running XMBC so all movies etc can be accessed from the NAS box. It is also accessible via any computer that is on my home network. No lags. I have tested via playing movies on 3 raspberry pis and main computer all at once.

Synology have their own OS running on it. Take a look at their website as they do offer some quite good solutions which you just need to put some disks into.

I have a Synology NAS. It was about £160 and I put two drives in, setup in raid for backup.

I store media on there and have a raspberry Pi on each tv in the house running XMBC so all movies etc can be accessed from the NAS box. It is also accessible via any computer that is on my home network. No lags. I have tested via playing movies on 3 raspberry pis and main computer all at once.

Synology have their own OS running on it. Take a look at their website as they do offer some quite good solutions which you just need to put some disks into.

Im upgrading my net gear router to an AC compatible router for better streaming to my macbook air. do u see any performance decrease from the Synology nas for read/write performance wirelessly? how have you setup xbmc there is so much configuration for AEON NOX it almost gets confusing lol. like for movies/tv shows its pretty simple but setting up separate menus with separate categories is frustrating me. Like I have a huge boxing collection that doesn't have metadata, but I'm trying to add separate fan art/posters/metadata manually and have it as a video folder separate from my movies but just doesn't look as nice as my movie/tv show setup. Those raspberry pis look kind of neat tho might think about getting one for one of my rooms.

XBMC runs on the Pi.

Accessing the NAS over wifi is fine. If it is asleep (if inactive for a while it goes to sleep) it can take a few seconds to wake up but once awake there is no lag. I do all the folder organisation on the NAS just using the finder in OSX then just use XBMC as the tv interface to access the data.

Like sebgreen, I have a Synology NAS which I use as my file server, iTunes server, Time Capsule emulation for Time Machine, web server and file server (video, photographics, etc.). Synology NAS OS is very Mac friendly, and they numerous apps for the NAS from email server to surveillance system app. Synology even has apps for the iPad and iPhone.

I've gotten so use to using it that I just build my hackintoshes using a single SSD and mount the my account NAS home director to store my permanent data files.

I have a 112j Synology (single disk) with a WD Red 3TB drive. More than enough for my wife and I. But, the real plus for this NAS is
  • size of a thick book,
  • pleasing exterior design,
  • good spec's for home use,
  • uses only 12.1 Watts in operation, and
  • only costs $140-$150 USD for the 112J.
So, check out the NAS unless you want to learn about NAS's by using OpenNAS, which I don't blame you for wanting to try. SmallNetBuilder.com is a great networking site and has a NAS section of reviews and performance charts.

http://www.synology.com/en-us/products/overview/DS112j
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007KWLXRK/
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822108114

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back