Asus Maximus VII
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
GTX 980
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi all!

I've been saving and building my computer for months now and struggling to get it to work with Yosemite, but I finally have it up and running. I just need to get a few things working as well as ironing out some issues.

First and foremost, here are my core specs:

- i7-4790k

- Asus Maximus VII Hero (was previously the Sabertooth Z97 MK1 until I had SATA port issues)

- EVGA SC GTX 980

- 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro @ 2133MHz (were on sale and used for simultaneous gaming, streaming, and virtual servers)

- WD Blue 1TB 7200rpm HDD (Yosemite drive. I also have multiple drives for multiple OS's)

- Asus VG248QE 24" 144Hz 1ms 3D 1080p monitor

- Gigabyte Bluetooth/WiFi PCI-E card with intel 7260HMW chipset (originally had this because my PC was away from my router for hardwiring)

Solid specs for an all around build revolving on gaming, streaming, video and photo editing, simultaneous virtual OS's (primarily for servers and some legacy OS's for programming and testing :p), CAD, etc. Overall, the components are compatible for Hackintosh as well.

After successfully getting my build working on 10.10.3, there are still a few things that I'm having trouble solving:

Inconsistent boots
- Sometimes, whenever I don't boot in verbose mode (having the -v at the end of the flag), I get a kernel panic. So I have to restart, and put in -v. Sometimes, its the other way around. There are even times where they both don't work and I have to fully shut down my pc, boot it up, and enter my kernel flags when it's saved in my org.chameleon.Boot.plist file as shown:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
    <string>Yes</string>
    <key>Graphics Mode</key>
    <string>"1920x1080x32"</string>
    <key>Kernel Flags</key>
    <string>nvda_drv=1 GraphicsEnabler=No IGPEnabler=No UseKernelCache=No</string>
    <key>Legacy Logo</key>
    <string>Yes</string>
    <key>Timeout</key>
    <string>5</string>
    <key>HDEFLayoutID</key>
    <string>01000000</string>
    <key>HDAEnabler</key>
    <string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

So at times, I would have to enter: GraphicsEnabler=No IGPEnabler=No UseKernelCache=No -v which would then work. Yet, why would I have to enter it even if it's in the boot.plist file? :banghead: Also, If anyone else had the same problem, what did you do to fix it?

Random kernel panics - Whenever I would be working in my Hackintosh, I would sometimes get a random kernel panic out of the blue and would have to restart my PC. It hasn't happened as often, but it is random. I haven't gotten a chance to dive deeper in this issue as much, but I'm not sure if it's a bad kext or something else. The only thing that was "extra" was the EvOreboot kext, but even if I were to remove it, I would still get random kernel panics. What could be the probable causes with this happening?

Sleep is not working- Tried to put my pc into sleep, but instead just turns off and locks out my display. I recall seeing something to fix this and to have the pc actually go into sleep mode, but I can't find the source. Is it something relating to a kext? Or is it a DSDT edit?

Apart from these issues, my build with Yosemite seems to be running well. I know that wifi isn't supported because of the chipset, but I have my PC moved back into my basement (which has my modem and router in it) and thus have it plugged into my ethernet port. I'm getting my audio issue resolved shortly, so I don't think it's a "problem" for the time being.

If anyone has any solutions, thank you in advance. When these issues gets resolved, I'll be making a guide for my build shortly. Cheers!

First and foremost, here are my core specs:
- i7-4790k
- Asus Maximus VII Hero (was previously the Sabertooth Z97 MK1 until I had SATA port issues)
- EVGA SC GTX 980
- 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro @ 2133MHz (were on sale and used for simultaneous gaming, streaming, and virtual servers)
- WD Blue 1TB 7200rpm HDD (Yosemite drive. I also have multiple drives for multiple OS's)
- Asus VG248QE 24" 144Hz 1ms 3D 1080p monitor
- Gigabyte Bluetooth/WiFi PCI-E card with intel 7260HMW chipset (originally had this because my PC was away from my router for hardwiring)

Update your build's hardware details under Profile > Basic Information section in the below format (Profile link is available on the upper right side of this website) or update it in Signature, So that we can avoid scroll back to your fist post for identifying the hardware details.

System : Motherboard + BIOS Version + Bootloader (Clover/Chameleon/Chimera)
CPU : Detailed CPU Model
Graphics : All Graphics Devices

For Example,
System : GA-Z97X-UD5H (F9F) (CLOVER)
CPU : Intel Core i7-4790K
Graphics : Intel HD 4600/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980

Inconsistent boots
- Sometimes, whenever I don't boot in verbose mode (having the -v at the end of the flag), I get a kernel panic.

-v will not resolve any issues, it is just for verbose mode/text mode booting.

Post a clear photo of the entire Kernel Panic screen.

So I have to restart, and put in -v. Sometimes, its the other way around. There are even times where they both don't work and I have to fully shut down my pc, boot it up, and enter my kernel flags when it's saved in my org.chameleon.Boot.plist file as shown:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
    <string>Yes</string>
    <key>Graphics Mode</key>
    <string>"1920x1080x32"</string>
    <key>Kernel Flags</key>
    <string>nvda_drv=1 GraphicsEnabler=No IGPEnabler=No UseKernelCache=No</string>
    <key>Legacy Logo</key>
    <string>Yes</string>
    <key>Timeout</key>
    <string>5</string>
    <key>HDEFLayoutID</key>
    <string>01000000</string>
    <key>HDAEnabler</key>
    <string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Where is the flag "kext-dev-mode=1"?? It is required for loading unsigned kexts on Yosemite. Without the flag may fail to load FakeSMC.kext too and it will lead to booting issues.

Have you ran the MultiBeast released for Yosemite or any other old version??

So at times, I would have to enter: GraphicsEnabler=No IGPEnabler=No UseKernelCache=No -v which would then work. Yet, why would I have to enter it even if it's in the boot.plist file? :banghead: Also, If anyone else had the same problem, what did you do to fix it?

Post your org.chameleon.boot.plist as file here.

Random kernel panics - Whenever I would be working in my Hackintosh, I would sometimes get a random kernel panic out of the blue and would have to restart my PC. It hasn't happened as often, but it is random.

For KPs always post a photo. Without seeing the kernel panic screen, no one can provide exact solutions/suggestions.

Sleep is not working- Tried to put my pc into sleep, but instead just turns off and locks out my display. I recall seeing something to fix this and to have the pc actually go into sleep mode, but I can't find the source. Is it something relating to a kext? Or is it a DSDT edit?

What is happening after putting the OS X into sleep??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back