Contribute
Register

Almost Perfect on z68-2600k-nvidia-670. Sometimes has reboot cycle on wake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING
CPU
Core i5-9600K
Graphics
XFX - AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT RAW II
Mac
  1. iMac
Long time reader/lurker, first time poster, so please be gentle if I mess up the protocol on how to ask for help.

This is my 4th build, so I'm not a total noob, I've just always stuck pretty close to recommended gear to make things easy, and the info on these forums has always solved any issues I've had. So thanks for the years of support! It's been so comprehensive I've never needed to ask a question in 3 years of doing this hobby :clap:

Anyway, this new build is great.
Love the performance, it's a very easy install and it's been super stable, even during lengthy Final Cut Pro X edit sessions.

It just has one remaining gremlin that I'm trying to track down a fix for, and it's proving resistant to lots of searches, both here and the broader community.

Sometimes (but not always), when the system auto-sleeps (which it actually does quite well), it will begin an endless reboot cycle when I wake it. Like the UEFI/bios settings are getting tweaked or something and it tries to recover them. It reboots, shuts itself down, turns on again, shuts itself down. Throws up a UEFI config screen, and then reboots again. Hitting delete, confirming UEFI/Bios settings and then letting it reboot seems to be the only way to stop the cycle. It's almost like something is happening in the UEFI/Bios itself.

My UEFI settings are the standard ones recommended on this site. Optimized defaults, AHCI, XMP Profile1 for 1600mhz memory, etc...

I've done an endless set of reinstall, multi-beast settings to try to clear it up. No joy.
Short of rolling back to a conventional BIOS, I've run out of ideas to try.
Since it's sporadic, and otherwise the build is running super-smooth, I've half a mind to try to live with it.
But I'm kind of OCD about this sort of thing and it's really annoying me.:banghead:

Was hoping one of you ninjas had run across something similar and just has an obvious fix you could point me to?

As I said up front, the build is a very standard one with dual-OS SSDs. I just use f12 to pick at boot time.

• GA-Z68XP-UD3-iSSD (running UEFI)
  • Intel 2600k
  • 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz
  • Gigabyte GTX670 (natively supported with graphicsenabler=no)
  • Sandisk Extreme SSD - Mountain Lion on Intel 6gb Sata Port
  • Sandisk Extreme SSD - Windows 8 on Intel 6GB Sata Port
  • Seagate 3TB data drive - On 3rd Party Sata 6GB Sata port
  • Sony Optiarc DVD - on Intel 3GB Sata Port
  • Native Sonnet Presto Ethernet card (no driver needed)
  • USB Audio - Audioquest Dragonfly (no driver needed)
  • Logitech Solar Mac keyboard

My multibeast selections are very straightforward because most stuff is native (especially since switching to UEFI and Mountain Lion).

I don't need one for audio, networking, or graphics (other than OpenCL enablement).
I'm not using integrated graphics from the 2600k.
I've tried installs both with and without Trim Enabler.
I've got my USB3 ports currently disabled so I'm not adding any drivers or using them, to further reduce my surface area to troubleshoot.
Usually I just check the boxes for DSDT-Free, 3rd Party Sata, OpenCL for 670, and then customize for GraphicsEnabler=No, set machine to iMac12,2 (I've read it's better for perf) and check the box for SSDT i7 (not overclocked).
Like I said, it works fantastic, with this one little glitch which strikes some of the time.
Almost perfect.

Thanks in advance for any tips you can offer. And even if you can't, thanks for the 3 years of assistance you'e given by contributing to this site as you all do on a constant basis. This is such a fun hobby, thanks to you guys.

did you try pathing applertc kext ?
first backup appleRTC
in terminal:

sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x75\x30\x44\x89\xf8|\xeb\x30\x44\x89\xf8|; s|\x75\x3d\x8b\x75\x08|\xeb\x3d\x8b\x75\x08|' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleRTC.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleRTC

and rebuild kext cache with Kext Utility...

Long time reader/lurker, first time poster, so please be gentle if I mess up the protocol on how to ask for help.

This is my 4th build, so I'm not a total noob, I've just always stuck pretty close to recommended gear to make things easy, and the info on these forums has always solved any issues I've had. So thanks for the years of support! It's been so comprehensive I've never needed to ask a question in 3 years of doing this hobby :clap:

Anyway, this new build is great.
Love the performance, it's a very easy install and it's been super stable, even during lengthy Final Cut Pro X edit sessions.

It just has one remaining gremlin that I'm trying to track down a fix for, and it's proving resistant to lots of searches, both here and the broader community.

Sometimes (but not always), when the system auto-sleeps (which it actually does quite well), it will begin an endless reboot cycle when I wake it. Like the UEFI/bios settings are getting tweaked or something and it tries to recover them. It reboots, shuts itself down, turns on again, shuts itself down. Throws up a UEFI config screen, and then reboots again. Hitting delete, confirming UEFI/Bios settings and then letting it reboot seems to be the only way to stop the cycle. It's almost like something is happening in the UEFI/Bios itself.

My UEFI settings are the standard ones recommended on this site. Optimized defaults, AHCI, XMP Profile1 for 1600mhz memory, etc...

I've done an endless set of reinstall, multi-beast settings to try to clear it up. No joy.
Short of rolling back to a conventional BIOS, I've run out of ideas to try.
Since it's sporadic, and otherwise the build is running super-smooth, I've half a mind to try to live with it.
But I'm kind of OCD about this sort of thing and it's really annoying me.:banghead:

Was hoping one of you ninjas had run across something similar and just has an obvious fix you could point me to?

As I said up front, the build is a very standard one with dual-OS SSDs. I just use f12 to pick at boot time.

• GA-Z68XP-UD3-iSSD (running UEFI)
  • Intel 2600k
  • 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz
  • Gigabyte GTX670 (natively supported with graphicsenabler=no)
  • Sandisk Extreme SSD - Mountain Lion on Intel 6gb Sata Port
  • Sandisk Extreme SSD - Windows 8 on Intel 6GB Sata Port
  • Seagate 3TB data drive - On 3rd Party Sata 6GB Sata port
  • Sony Optiarc DVD - on Intel 3GB Sata Port
  • Native Sonnet Presto Ethernet card (no driver needed)
  • USB Audio - Audioquest Dragonfly (no driver needed)
  • Logitech Solar Mac keyboard

My multibeast selections are very straightforward because most stuff is native (especially since switching to UEFI and Mountain Lion).

I don't need one for audio, networking, or graphics (other than OpenCL enablement).
I'm not using integrated graphics from the 2600k.
I've tried installs both with and without Trim Enabler.
I've got my USB3 ports currently disabled so I'm not adding any drivers or using them, to further reduce my surface area to troubleshoot.
Usually I just check the boxes for DSDT-Free, 3rd Party Sata, OpenCL for 670, and then customize for GraphicsEnabler=No, set machine to iMac12,2 (I've read it's better for perf) and check the box for SSDT i7 (not overclocked).
Like I said, it works fantastic, with this one little glitch which strikes some of the time.
Almost perfect.

Thanks in advance for any tips you can offer. And even if you can't, thanks for the 3 years of assistance you'e given by contributing to this site as you all do on a constant basis. This is such a fun hobby, thanks to you guys.

I have the same exact problem, but with Z68x-UD3H-B3 same CPU, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD, and GT640. Bios UEFI U1h.
I patched the appleRTC with unibeast 1.5....

Alright then. Looks like patching AppleRTC is my next stop.
Since I'm usually just running Multibeast, I'm not super familiar with the procedure for simply patching one file.
Is the best way via terminal as described by Duffs below?

Looks like that did the trick!

Did a fresh install, ran multibeast as always, and had a successful first boot.

Then I executed the terminal command from Duff (below) and rebuilt with Kext Utility.

I confirmed via pmset -g assertions and pmset -g logs that nothing was going to block my autosleep settings and then I waited with baited breath to see what would happen....

Sure enough, it slept, right on cue. And then the moment of truth...

I moved the mouse and clicked a button, eager to learn my fate: Would it launch into an endless set of CMOS resets? Or simply wake up?

I'm pleased to say it did the latter. Your solution did the trick. :clap:

I'm assuming, perhaps erroneously, that this means there is something screwy/broken with the version of AppleRTC that is in the current MultiBeast install (at least for my and a few other similar Gigabyte MBs), and that in the future it will get fixed and this terminal-based patching won't be needed?

Any way, thanks a million for the guidance and I can get down to business, actually using my hack, not simply building/tweaking my hack!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back