Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello there Party People!

So here it is, Thread #1000x about the holy grail of building a self chosen system under macOS.

Meet the Hackintosh;
Asus Prime Z370-A
i5-9600K
Sapphire Radeon RX 580 8GB OC
G.SKILL RGB 3000 MHz 16GB (undecided)
Samsung 860 EVO 500GB (x2 - macOS & Windows)
WD Blue 4TB
Fractal Design Celsius S24
Thermaltake Berlin 630W
NZXT S340 Elite

I researched all the parts thoroughly all around the Internet and am pretty happy with them.
I hope you guys can give me the mighty seal of approval!

The questions I have:
I followed the discussion about the Z390 as good as I could. But, here, the prices for the new Z390 are just a few bucks more than the Z370, so I wanted to collect some thoughts about that from you guys. Especially, because I bought a new 9th gen i5. I also watched a YouTube video which said that the 9th gen will perform 10% worse under the Z370 until the next BIOS update.
So this troubles me, too :p

Next up is the RGB RAM. Will I be able to choose color in Windows and they'll run the same presets under macOS?

And is there someone around who uses the Fractal Design Celsius in automatic mode? I hope it performs just as I read, without further input and silent.

I'm glad to be part of the community and thank you so much in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello there Party People!

So here it is, Thread #1000x about the holy grail of building a self chosen system under macOS.

Meet the Hackintosh;
Asus Prime Z370-A
i5-9600K
Sapphire Radeon RX 580 8GB OC
G.SKILL RGB 3000 MHz 16GB (undecided)
Samsung 860 EVO 500GB (x2 - macOS & Windows)
WD Blue 4TB
Fractal Design Celsius S24
Thermaltake Berlin 630W
NZXT S340 Elite

I researched all the parts thoroughly all around the Internet and am pretty happy with them.
I hope you guys can give me the mighty seal of approval!

The questions I have:
I followed the discussion about the Z390 as good as I could. But, here, the prices for the new Z390 are just a few bucks more than the Z370, so I wanted to collect some thoughts about that from you guys. Especially, because I bought a new 9th gen i5. I also watched a YouTube video which said that the 9th gen will perform 10% worse under the Z370 until the next BIOS update.
So this troubles me, too :p

Next up is the RGB RAM. Will I be able to choose color in Windows and they'll run the same presets under macOS?

And is there someone around who uses the Fractal Design Celsius in automatic mode? I hope it performs just as I read, without further input and silent.

I'm glad to be part of the community and thank you so much in advance!

There is one more thing you need to take note: The Z370 motherboard may need a BIOS update to support 9th generation CPUs, and, if the motherboard comes with an older version of BIOS, it will be unable to recognize the CPU and your system won't work.

I see no reason why a 9th generation CPU will run worse when it is put into a Z370 motherboard.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is one more thing you need to take note: The Z370 motherboard may need a BIOS update to support 9th generation CPUs, and, if the motherboard comes with an older version of BIOS, it will be unable to recognize the CPU and your system won't work.

I see no reason why a 9th generation CPU will run worse when it is put into a Z370 motherboard.

Thank you so much for your input Jamesbond007! I may be able to have a back up CPU at hand if this is the case.

Hello there again, so I decided to go with the newest version of motherboards and buyed an Asus Prime Z390-A. I assembled the parts and was able to get macOS Mojave up and running on it!
The majority of things is doing what its supposed to and I'm pretty happy with the result!

Two things are not working though:
The USB 3.1 ports from the GPU (Radeon Nitro+ RX580 8GB).
Shutdown, Restart, Sleep.

Maybe it's a common thing somebody can help me with?

Maybe it's a common thing somebody can help me with?
Start a new thread in Mojave Desktop Support - You no longer need Buying Advice.

Will do, thank you!

Will the 860 work with that board? I think the slots are M.2 MVMe not M.2 SATA, so you want the 960, though they may be backwards compatible. That said, the difference in price from 860 to 960 would indicate that you want the 960.

Will the 860 work with that board? I think the slots are M.2 MVMe not M.2 SATA, so you want the 960, though they may be backwards compatible. That said, the difference in price from 860 to 960 would indicate that you want the 960.

I was talking about the 860 EVO SSD, not the 960 M.2 SSD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back