Contribute
Register

Allow From Anywhere (Disable Gatekeeper checks) in macOS Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK guys, before you all blow a fuse. Yes, they did remove the blanket GUI setting of "Anywhere" in the Security & Privacy Preferences Pane BUT they did not remove the ability for you to install any piece of software from anywhere!!

If you right click any item that Gatekeeper won't like, then choose open from the drop menu instead of whatever you normally do and you will get a dialog box allowing you to open the item (albeit with a warning)! So no, they have abandoned you, they are just trying to protect the innocent (and allow the wicked :)

Turning off the entire Gatekeeper protection is probably not wise since we all make mistakes sometimes.

*In my opinion only* ....If you take notice of the last few changes to the Mac operating system, you will realize Apple has been gradually shifting away from power users over the last few years. It seems Apple cares mostly about IOS users and basic ("Simple") users now for the most part and is shifting the Mac operating system to Mirror IOS more and more with each update... Having Sierra lock out 3rd party apps by default only further confirms my belief, not to mention Apple no longer even calls it OSX.... its now called "MacOS".... I love the Mac and the Mac OS and the stability of Unix over windows so I hope it sticks around.... otherwise I will use Linux and Windows in combination if no other alternative exists.... I agree with rapproducer714's post above... I also wouldn't be surprised one bit if they next decide to only allow apps to be installed through the App store... when that happens I will switch away from Apple.

And rapproducer714.... Many power users I personally know (DAW users and Graphics Editing) are moving to more powerful Windows workstations now... Mac Pro???? - Haha.. Don't get me wrong... I want A Mac for this Pro stuff... always have wanted it this way. Gatekeeper??? Marketing spin for the sake of security!

Again... my opinion only- I respect the opinion of all others as well.
I agree with most of that, man. I hope Apple at some point realizes how many professional studio's and artwork professionals use their software and hardware and get back to business instead of cute little frills for the common folk. I don't give two craps about Siri on desktop or any of that new crap really. I want a stable OS with convenient options and all the stuff that the older versions of OS X were known for.

Apple has no issue with people using 3rd party apps! All apple did was make it friendlier for macOS users who might not be as tech savvy or aren't familiar with something potentially harmful that they found on the internet. The reason that they removed Allow From Anywhere in the setting wasn't to limit people in anyway, you just simply don't need that option. If you download something from the internet that is for sure safe and you know it is, the first time you open it all you have to do is right click the app and click open. This warns you that it's unverified but lets you click open anyway, and then it bypasses gatekeeper every time you open that app from now on. All it is doing is getting me to think before I open a random new app that isn't from a known developer to make sure that I really do trust it. Worse case scenario you had no clue that what you were about to open was malicious and apple gave you a heads up. I will be leaving my gatekeeper enabled. :thumbup:

So you support Apple's arbitrary banning of the developer of the well respected and popular developer utility Dash? Maybe you're posting from Russia or somewhere where totalitarian regimes are sort of tolerated.

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/10/06/dash-pulled-for-app-store-review-manipulation/

Theres actually another way to do it too. in case you don't want to completely disable gatekeeper. Personally I like it to add a slight amount more security.
The way to do it is hold ctrl on your keyboard while you click the application. It'll bring up the right click menu, but it turns gatekeeper off for that particular application, so if you click open, it will open the application no matter where it was downloaded from!

So you support Apple's arbitrary banning of the developer of the well respected and popular developer utility Dash? Maybe you're posting from Russia or somewhere where totalitarian regimes are sort of tolerated.

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/10/06/dash-pulled-for-app-store-review-manipulation/

Umm.. No, I read that article, it is irrelevant to what I said completely. Did you read my whole post? I said that they have no intention of stopping anyone from running whatever they want and explained how gate keeper is just a failsafe for less tech savvy people. I also in no way whatsoever said that I support any sort of "app banning". In the article you linked, Apple pulled the app off of their app store (they didn't ban it from running in MacOS and never would do that), it is still available from his website and would still work with no issues even with gate keeper enabled, all you would have to do is what I described in my last post. I agree that it sucks that they did that if he legitimately had no reason for it to happen, if that is the case, I would bet it would get sorted out and be back on the app store soon enough.

Last edited:
I think its because Apple doesn't want you to use 3rd parties apps except there own apps. If you noticed guys at apple support will tell you to removed 3rd parties apps.

Indeed. Their goal is to attract all apps into Mac app store.
Not only it is "safer" for us to use all the apps in it, it will also generate revenue for Apple.

Indeed. Their goal is to attract all apps into Mac app store.
Not only it is "safer" for us to use all the apps in it, it will also generate revenue for Apple.

Most of the apps i use are in the Mac App store anyway and if they're not i don't really bother.

Also I am just curious about this..so, now if I wanna use alfred on a new mac, I need to insert this code????
Otherwise it won't install????
If you download it and try to open it the banner comes up that it can't be opened. If you go to system preferences the gear on the bottom tool bar and select "security and privacy" there will be an option to open anyways. So it's not impossible to open downloads, just an extra step or two or three unless you disable the setting. Sierra is a new software platform and many apps have poor performance or buggy issues including safari, so they may be just trying to protect themselves from embarrassment if outside apps don't work well or crash. They may add the option later after vendors work out various bugs. If not this is a great fix, thanks tony!

Apple is catering to the hipsters... because the pro users are moving en masse to Windows. Because Microsoft is serious in supporting them. Their tablets have gotten to the point where they are more useful and adaptable than Macbooks. And what passes for mac desktops are desk ashtrays that have no real upgrade or expansion paths other than Thunderbolt dongles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back