Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Screen Shot 2016-09-26 at 4.35.43 PM.png
Apple has removed the option to Allow apps downloaded from Anywhere in macOS Sierra. To enable this, use /Applications/Utilities/Terminal. Note, if you had Allow from Anywhere enabled in OS X El Capitan it will persist upon Sierra update.

Allow from Anywhere (Turns off the Gatekeeper checks)

Code:
sudo spctl --master-disable

Re-enable:

Code:
sudo spctl --master-enable

I swear Apple is going downhill as far as I'm concerned. Why the hell would they remove such an important feature from being right out in the open? I know why- security. But still, as long as you're not an idiot, you don't need to have this disabled to stay safe. Shaking my head...

I feel like Apple used to focus on pro users and power users more, but now it's all about catering to the hipsters and what have you.

I swear Apple is going downhill as far as I'm concerned. Why the hell would they remove such an important feature from being right out in the open? I know why- security. But still, as long as you're not an idiot, you don't need to have this disabled to stay safe. Shaking my head...

I feel like Apple used to focus on pro users and power users more, but now it's all about catering to the hipsters and what have you.

I think its because Apple doesn't want you to use 3rd parties apps except there own apps. If you noticed guys at apple support will tell you to removed 3rd parties apps.

Thanks Tony! Been wondering this

I think its because Apple doesn't want you to use 3rd parties apps except there own apps. If you noticed guys at apple support will tell you to removed 3rd parties apps.
Yeah, but if you think about it, you're repeating what I said dude. They don't want you using third party apps because of either security, cause of the possibility of it being a virus or malicious, or because they just want you to buy and or use theirs only or because of that AND security, but ultimately, you repeated what I said.

Apple has no issue with people using 3rd party apps! All apple did was make it friendlier for macOS users who might not be as tech savvy or aren't familiar with something potentially harmful that they found on the internet. The reason that they removed Allow From Anywhere in the setting wasn't to limit people in anyway, you just simply don't need that option. If you download something from the internet that is for sure safe and you know it is, the first time you open it all you have to do is right click the app and click open. This warns you that it's unverified but lets you click open anyway, and then it bypasses gatekeeper every time you open that app from now on. All it is doing is getting me to think before I open a random new app that isn't from a known developer to make sure that I really do trust it. Worse case scenario you had no clue that what you were about to open was malicious and apple gave you a heads up. I will be leaving my gatekeeper enabled. :thumbup:

Last edited:
I swear Apple is going downhill as far as I'm concerned. you don't need to have this disabled to stay safe. Shaking my head...

*In my opinion only* ....If you take notice of the last few changes to the Mac operating system, you will realize Apple has been gradually shifting away from power users over the last few years. It seems Apple cares mostly about IOS users and basic ("Simple") users now for the most part and is shifting the Mac operating system to Mirror IOS more and more with each update... Having Sierra lock out 3rd party apps by default only further confirms my belief, not to mention Apple no longer even calls it OSX.... its now called "MacOS".... I love the Mac and the Mac OS and the stability of Unix over windows so I hope it sticks around.... otherwise I will use Linux and Windows in combination if no other alternative exists.... I agree with rapproducer714's post above... I also wouldn't be surprised one bit if they next decide to only allow apps to be installed through the App store... when that happens I will switch away from Apple.

And rapproducer714.... Many power users I personally know (DAW users and Graphics Editing) are moving to more powerful Windows workstations now... Mac Pro???? - Haha.. Don't get me wrong... I want A Mac for this Pro stuff... always have wanted it this way. Gatekeeper??? Marketing spin for the sake of security!

Again... my opinion only- I respect the opinion of all others as well.

Last edited:
*In my opinion only* ....If you take notice of the last few changes to the Mac operating system, you will realize Apple has been gradually shifting away from power users over the last few years. It seems Apple cares mostly about IOS users and basic ("Simple") users now for the most part and is shifting the Mac operating system to Mirror IOS more and more with each update... Having Sierra lock out 3rd party apps by default only further confirms my belief, not to mention Apple no longer even calls it OSX.... its now called "MacOS".... I love the Mac and the Mac OS and the stability of Unix over windows so I hope it sticks around.... otherwise I will use Linux and Windows in combination if no other alternative exists.... I agree with rapproducer714's post above... I also wouldn't be surprised one bit if they next decide to only allow apps to be installed through the App store... when that happens I will switch away from Apple.

And rapproducer714.... Many power users I personally know (DAW users and Graphics Editing) are moving to more powerful Windows workstations now... Mac Pro???? - Haha.. Don't get me wrong... I want A Mac for this Pro stuff... always have wanted it this way. Gatekeeper??? Marketing spin for the sake of security!

Again... my opinion only- I respect the opinion of all others as well.
I'm with you 100% on your opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back