Contribute
Register

All Things PRO AUDIO

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Logic project linked to is really heavy. And there's a Mac/Hack that can run this (all 30 tracks) with a samplebuffer of 128 samples @ 96 kHz samplerate? Hard to believe.
With what soundcard/driver? Let's try to compare apples with apples....(ha!)

The Logic project linked to is really heavy. And there's a Mac/Hack that can run this (all 30 tracks) with a samplebuffer of 128 samples @ 96 kHz samplerate? Hard to believe.
With what soundcard/driver? Let's try to compare apples with apples....(ha!)
Apparently, that test was performed by KGP without any external low latency audio device (hence the reason for the deliberate 1024 sample latency) and was used simply to expose any Hyperthreading bugs on your hack. Since switching to the hack I expected to be able to carry the same projects my Late 2009 i7 iMac ran at 44.1k but at the upconverted 96k. I was wrong. Most importantly, the article/video I linked to my first post is worth a peek. The real Mac doesn't seem to be experiencing the same woes.

I just tried the Logic Pro X monster project on a brand new iMac 2019 i9 8 core/16 threads with 32 GB of RAM and a 1 TB SSD.

Can't even play 16 tracks @ 44.1 kHz with a 1024 samplebuffer on the internal audio card.

Will try a pro audio Thunderbolt card next.

Here's the result:
Tried a Lynx Aurora(-n) with LT-TB(Thunderbolt). 14 tracks are just playable. 44.1 kHz @ 1024 buffer. Lots of warm air, still fairly silent.

So, a real iMac is not magically better than a properly tuned Hack in this respect. (running lots of CPU loading plug ins)

With the Aurora, I can reduce the buffer to 32 samples and the 14 tracks will still play... Now that's impressive.
Logic reports a round trip latency of 4.4 mS.
In total 210 plug-ins, plus 14 (lightweight) VI's, and very low latency. Nice. Plus great screen, and fairly silent under load.

Guys, it's very unlikely that it's the audio interface. I have tested both the VRS-8 and UAD Apollo with mine with similar results. Also it's important to remember that because often times audio interface manufacturers use the same off the shelf chipsets, the driver development is outsourced to a third party and the only difference is the custom GUI.

With the Aurora, I can reduce the buffer to 32 samples and the 14 tracks will still play... Now that's impressive.
Logic reports a round trip latency of 4.4 mS.
In total 210 plug-ins, plus 14 (lightweight) VI's, and very low latency. Nice. Plus great screen, and fairly silent under load.
I see that you're on Z170 still. What is macOS version are you running?

Metric Halo 2882/3D connected via usb-c will also work with a 32 sample buffer. RTL 7.1 mS. Neat.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back