Contribute
Register

[ALL ProBooks/Laptops in General] Our WiFi WhiteListing Days Are 0v3r!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Semi-success!

I followed the instructions set above and was able to get my Mountain Lion installation to recognize the new wireless card. My test bed is a Probook 4530s A7K05UT#ABA. I used a BCM94322HM8L (verified to work in one of my custom builds). I received the BIOS white-list warning, but after running through the steps my install recognized it. I had to manually hit the Wifi button next to the screen to get it to search for network. This is where it got a little wonky. It would search for networks, but I could never officially switch the Wi-Fi on. No networks are found, but in About this Mac > System Information it reads this cards and all the channels it goes up to. Somewhere in the 160's if I remember correctly.

I had to quickly put my Atheros back in because I need a reliable connection.

Please let me know what suggestions any of you may have!

You will need to use the hard-switch to get the wireless card to turn on (turn it off n then on again). I had to use that trick to get the wireless to work. I posted the problem in the first post :

"2. Everytime I boot into OSX/Windows I have to hard switch the wifi to on and off in order for it to start seeing the networks. Any way around this?!"

You will need to use the hard-switch to get the wireless card to turn on (turn it off n then on again). I had to use that trick to get the wireless to work. I posted the problem in the first post :

"2. Everytime I boot into OSX/Windows I have to hard switch the wifi to on and off in order for it to start seeing the networks. Any way around this?!"

Yeah, put cellophane tape over the radio pin20 on the wifi mPCIe card. That will keep the wifi on all the time. I've found this is necessary on several third party cards as they use inverse logic to turn on the radio with the wireless switch not doing anything.

ok, i have a 5330m too, and im not too happy with the usb dongle (i can live w it for some months..)

if we can make this work "easily" it will be fantastic!

if i understood this well, as for now its not 100% success, isnt it?

Yeah, put cellophane tape over the radio pin20 on the wifi mPCIe card. That will keep the wifi on all the time. I've found this is necessary on several third party cards as they use inverse logic to turn on the radio with the wireless switch not doing anything.

Update: "Everytime I boot into OSX/Windows I have to hard switch the wifi to on and off in order for it to start seeing the networks. Any way around this?!" - SOLVED! Thanks to Nando4 for suggesting to short/tape pin 20 of the wifi card. Now, the wifi card turns on right when OSX loads, no more using the hard switch!

Thanks! Nando4

Our Whitelisting days are over. I booted with the USB drive I created using the DIY Setup 1.x, taped the radio pin20, and now I am connecting at 300 Mbps. I am transferring with a peak throughput of 22 MB/s (That's mega-BYTES). Here is my screenshot. Oh yeah....it's 5 GHz, too. Woohoo!!! We really need to work on integrating this into our bootloader somehow.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-09-08 at 10.31.10 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2012-09-08 at 10.31.10 AM.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 554
Our Whitelisting days are over. I booted with the USB drive I created using the DIY Setup 1.x, taped the radio pin20, and now I am connecting at 300 Mbps. I am transferring with a peak throughput of 22 MB/s (That's mega-BYTES). Here is my screenshot. Oh yeah....it's 5 GHz, too. Woohoo!!! We really need to work on integrating this into our bootloader somehow.

That's fantastic. I will check my stack of wireless cards and try it myself. Probably will order the same card as you since it's confirmed working.

I tried and it didn't work on my dv7-6b55dx .

I have a few cards that bring up the bios white list blah blah.

I can't get the usb to boot when it does that.

I did however get the 4313 to show up in the program. After I booted the usb. It didn't show the wifi in osx mountain lion. Only the bluetooth . (as usual) in windows the card is fine. ugh! LOL

How do I get the broadcom 4313,4322 or the 4324 to get past the bios ? Or the atheros for that matter?

I'm a bit confused on this.

And what cards are you using to get osx to show and get past the bios?

I tried and it didn't work on my dv7-6b55dx .

I have a few cards that bring up the bios white list blah blah.

I can't get the usb to boot when it does that.

I did however get the 4313 to show up in the program. After I booted the usb. It didn't show the wifi in osx mountain lion. Only the bluetooth . (as usual) in windows the card is fine. ugh! LOL

How do I get the broadcom 4313,4322 or the 4324 to get past the bios ? Or the atheros for that matter?

I'm a bit confused on this.

And what cards are you using to get osx to show and get past the bios?

I'm using an Atheros 9285, what happens when you connect the third party wifi in - can you bypass the bios screen? I'm not sure if the 43xx series is compatible with ML, that's probably why it doesn't get detected in OSX. See here:

http://www.osx_86.net/view/972-broadcom_43xx_series_airport.html

Hmmm.

My 4322 and 4324 did work when I had a white listed bios.

I have an atheros Ar5b195.But, It's not the hp one.

I looked on ebay on the hp probooks have a different one.

I'm ordering that one next week.

I really wish my bios was white listed . :(

Oh , and the link didn't work.

It would be awesome if we could find a 300 mbps 5 GHz wifi card with bluetooth integrated that is also compatible with Mac. I love this, but it would be nice to have bluetooth, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back