Contribute
Register

Alisdairv's Build - GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3/i7-2600k/4850 512MB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, bought a Zotac GeFroce 8400GS display adapter for $30 at Fry's so I could get this thing going. It works great for what I'm doing. Worked right out of the box no tinkering.

So I was able to install Lion. 2 things aren't working well. The onboard Firewire and Ethernet.

Firewire works sometimes. At least with some devices (external disks). I know its not the devices because I installed a PCI firewire card from my old box and they work fine when plugged into it.

Ethernet works BUT it would not get an address from DHCP. Manually entering an address didn't work either UNTIL after a reboot.

Everything else (so far) is just honky-doray. Thanks Stork and Alisdairv for the excellent write ups on your builds.

IvanPistoff said:
So I was able to install Lion. 2 things aren't working well. The onboard Firewire and Ethernet.

Ethernet DHCP fixed. I had installed the Lnx2Mac kext. So I deleted that one and installed the official Realtek 2.0.6 from multibeast and now it works. I'm having another issue gettingn my VPN to work but I will post elsewhere. I don't think that is related to this motherboard.

No fix for the Firewire yet.

I have this mobo in Zorro. Lnx2Mac's Ethernet driver works fine with DCHP. A lot of people want to blame Lnx2Mac's driver for things lately :eek: :eek: :lol: when it's something else that's causing your problem. I bet, if you reinstall Lnx2Mac's driver, again, it will work.

Additionally, my FW400 on the rear panel works with some FW components; I have an Apple iSight web cam connected to the rear panel FW connector. However, I can't use the rear or front panels FW400 connections with my OWC external FW400 drives. I'm betting it's a chipset compatibility problem. So, I've got a bunch of PCIe FW400/800 cards that I have picked up on the cheap when I see them. The external drives work with the PCIe FW cards at both FW400 and FW800 speeds. IIRC it's the TI FW chipset that compatible which can be confirmed by using the Forum Search's function.

Hm, I'd like to try the Lnx2Mac driver again just to know but I'm almost afraid to mess with it. haha

Good to know someone else is experiencing the same FW issues. It's a shame, really the main reason I picked this mobo but whats another $20 for a FW card?

Sorry to raise an old thread. However, I built my system around the OP's specs and I was wondering if I could update to macOS Sierra without issues following the new guide?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back