Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hi there,

Over the holidays, I bought an Alienware AW17R3-3758SLV from Best Buy. (Currently on sale, but I will not post the link, as that's not allowed.)

It includes the Core i7 with 6700HQ, 8GB RAM, nVidia M970 with 3GB RAM, and a 17" 4K display, which is mainly why I bought it.

Does anyone know how to install on one of these, or can someone guide me to a good "defacto" getting started process? I've installed a 2TB hard drive, and I will be possibly buying an SSD drive for boot if I can get this to work properly.

Any help you can offer would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Hi there,

Over the holidays, I bought an Alienware AW17R3-3758SLV from Best Buy. (Currently on sale, but I will not post the link, as that's not allowed.)

It includes the Core i7 with 6700HQ, 8GB RAM, nVidia M970 with 3GB RAM, and a 17" 4K display, which is mainly why I bought it.

Does anyone know how to install on one of these, or can someone guide me to a good "defacto" getting started process? I've installed a 2TB hard drive, and I will be possibly buying an SSD drive for boot if I can get this to work properly.

Any help you can offer would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Read about Skylake: http://www.tonymacx86.com/desktop-compatibility/176407-testing-thread-skylake-platform-os-x.html

And laptop FAQ: http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.html

Is the Nvidia dedicated, or is it Intel+Nvidia (Optimus)?

Getting ALL sorts of errors. :(

Can't change USB 3 to legacy mode, so I'm screwed there.
mbinit hang.

Seems to be something about the USB 3 driver, but I can't figure it out. I think I have to add an EFI file to the EFI directory to get it to work, but I'm throwing my hands up at this point. Not sure what to do now.

Getting ALL sorts of errors. :(

Can't change USB 3 to legacy mode, so I'm screwed there.
mbinit hang.

Seems to be something about the USB 3 driver, but I can't figure it out. I think I have to add an EFI file to the EFI directory to get it to work, but I'm throwing my hands up at this point. Not sure what to do now.

Boot verbose, show photo. Post EFI/Clover folder.

I can't post the EFI/Clover folder, as I can't even boot the system. I have Linux installed on the system instead; is there another way to get this info? Let me know how much to post, and I will try it.

Sorry, I don't understand what you're asking me to do.

In the guide linked from the FAQ, you create an EFI/Clover folder specific to your hardware and according to the guide. In theory, that's the EFI/Clover configuration you're using.

I'm asking you to attach that EFI/Clover folder for analysis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back