Asus P8H61 M-LX USB3
CPU
Intel Core i5-3470
Graphics
Palit Dual GTX 1060 6GB
Mobile Phone
  1. Windows Phone
Hey,

I've got the original Alienware Alpha (Windows) with i5-4590T, 12GB DDR3L-1600 MHz RAM, GM107 2GB GPU. I was wondering, given the convenient form factor, if this could be a good candidate Hackintosh? The BIOS is fairly basic and it's got its own boot loader, but given it's a pre-built Dell computer, I wonder if I can put in another drive and use it as a Mac, or if due to the OS recognising the hardware it'll reject it? Thanks :)

How'd you go? Did you get anywhere? I've got an alpha on the way - hoping I can Hackintosh it :)

How'd you go? Did you get anywhere? I've got an alpha on the way - hoping I can Hackintosh it :)

I'm going to give it a try in a couple of days, will report back. Hopefully it'll work without issues, if not I might install Ubuntu instead.

I''ve got as far an booting to the macOS installer and beginning the install. But it crashed part way in...

Ok - Probably crashed the first time due to installing onto an external USB. Tried again on an internal I could reformat, and BINGO! Worked first time. No drama!. Amazing.

I tried installing to an external hard drive. It finished and then restarted and booted straight to Windows. No matter what I've tried, I can't get it to boot into either the USB or the drive I installed it on.

OK I got everything to install but the only issue is that Wi-Fi doesn't work and I can't find anything on about getting BUILT-IN Wi-Fi to work. So, I'm gonna abandon this project.

OK I got everything to install but the only issue is that Wi-Fi doesn't work and I can't find anything on about getting BUILT-IN Wi-Fi to work. So, I'm gonna abandon this project.

My understanding is that the built in WiFi won't work. You need a USB WiFi adapter. I use eth at my desk so it didn't bother me. You can get cheap eth to WiFi bridges if you need one - that an option. Or Powerline ethernet, which is great.

My understanding is that the built in WiFi won't work. You need a USB WiFi adapter. I use eth at my desk so it didn't bother me. You can get cheap eth to WiFi bridges if you need one - that an option. Or Powerline ethernet, which is great.

Well, it sucks that I can't use built-in Wi-Fi. I'm not going to use an operating system which doesn't even support that, I have no need for it. I have hardware and I want to use what I have. Sticking with Windows.

simply replace the built in chip with a hack friendly chip, less than 20 use and voila

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back