Contribute
Register

Alienware Alpha - almost 100% Functional.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
HP ProBook 4530 | HP ProBook 5330m | Intel NUC BOXD54250WYKH1 | Alienware Alpha
CPU
i3-2350m | i3-2350m | i5-4250U | i3-4130T
Graphics
Intel HD 3000 | Intel HD 5000 | NVIDIA Geforce GTX 860M 2989 MB
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
[SUCCESS] Alienware Alpha | Core i3-4130T | Nvidia GTX 860+ | 10.10.3 - 100% Functional

I have the Alienware Alpha 100% functional.

OSX Yosemite 10.10.3 (14D136)
Intel® Core™ i3-4130T Dual-Core processor (3M Cache, 2.9GHz) - Works w/ speed step and power management.
HDMI GPU: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 860M+ GPU 2GB GDDR5 - Works with full acceleration.
HDMI Sound: Works.
Realtek: Works.
Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160 1x1 + Bluetooth 4.0 - Haven’t tested, I doubt it works since Intel has limited support on OSX.
Wireless - works. Asus USB N-10 WiFi dongle.
USB 2.0 - works.
USB 3.0 - works.
Restart - works.
Shutdown - works.
Sleep - works with GenericxCHI.kext! - Am trying to transition to using native AppleUSBXHCI.kext w/ DSDT edits.

Now..to the how-to:

1. Create a Unibeast Installer - http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...-x-yosemite-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html
2. Haswell processor requires a patched kernel so follow this guide to patch the kernel on the Unibeast USB -
Code:
# in Terminal, assuming your USB is called Installer
cp /Volumes/Installer/System/Library/Kernels/kernel ~/Desktop/kernel_backup
cp /Volumes/Installer/System/Library/Kernels/kernel ~/Desktop/kernel
cd ~/Desktop
# now patch the kernel at ~/Desktop/kernel
perl -pi -e 's|\xe2\x00\x00\x00\x02\x00\x00\x00|\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00|g' kernel
perl -pi -e 's|\xe2\x00\x00\x00\x4c\x00\x00\x00|\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00|g' kernel
perl -pi -e 's|\xe2\x00\x00\x00\x90\x01\x00\x00|\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00|g' kernel
# patched kernel is now at ~/Desktop/kernel
sudo cp kernel /Volumes/Installer/System/Library/Kernels/kernel
3. Boot into BIOS and switch boot from UEFI to Legacy Boot and also Disable "VT-D Virtualization technology”
4. Boot with Unibeast USB with flags "-v nv_disable=1 GraphicsEnabler=No” (w/out quotations)
5. Install OS X following the Unibeast guide - the graphics will be choppy but we will solve this later.
5a. Boot into Unibeast again with flags "-v nv_disable=1 GraphicsEnabler=No” (w/out quotations)
5b. Copy patched kernel to the partition where OS X Yosemite is installed.
Code:
# in Terminal from the OS X installer, assuming your HDD volume is called "Macintosh HD"
cp /System/Library/Kernels/kernel "/Volumes/Macintosh HD/System/Library/Kernels/kernel"
6. Boot into OS X with boot flags “-v nv_disable=1 GraphicsEnabler=No” (w/out quotations), finish setting up OSX.
7. Download and install GPU drivers - http://us.download.nvidia.com/Mac/Quadro_Certified/346.01.02f02/WebDriver-346.01.02f02.pkg
8. Run Multibeast installer to install chimera & network drivers to the HD partition - Only select Chimera & Mieze's rtl8111.kext and nothing else. Download Extra v2.zip from the bottom and copy to /Extra.
9. To get HDMI audio working download : http://patrovic.com/HDMIAudio-1.0.dmg - and install the .kext with kexutility.
10. To get sleep working working : download https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-generic-usb3/downloads - and install the .kext with kextutility.
11. Restart and enjoy!

References... and special thanks to Rehabman for solving the DSDT compilation errors.
Haswell Kernel Patching : http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/to...he-kernel-for-haswell-cpus-xcpm-early-reboot/
Followed this guide for DSDT : http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-laptop-support/152573-guide-patching-laptop-dsdt-ssdts.html
Followed this guide for SSDT : http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks...vericks-native-cpu-igpu-power-management.html

Attachments

• Extra.zip
    28.2 KB · Views: 452
  • Extra v2.zip
    28.4 KB · Views: 658
Last edited:
Hi!Can you extract your alpha's bios by using CPU-Z.The official bios which I download can't open with MMTOOL.

Hi!Can you extract your alpha's bios by using CPU-Z.The official bios which I download can't open with MMTOOL.

I only have OS X installed now. Don't think CPU-Z is available for OS X. If there is, link me and I'll extract it for you.

I have the Alienware Alpha 100% functional.

Realtek: Haven’t tested.

Hi,

Have You tested It, now? Works ? I need to know, please. Thanks a lot

Hi,

Have You tested It, now? Works ? I need to know, please. Thanks a lot

Yes, it works. Install Mieze RTL8111's kext from Multibeast.

followed directions but when i booted with the flags it went to a white scren with this :beachball: what did i do wrong

followed directions but when i booted with the flags it went to a white scren with this :beachball: what did i do wrong

did you boot with " -v " ? It will be a black screen and shows where it's stuck at. Please post a screenshot.

How about Optical Audio?

---Edit 6.3---
---------------FOR i7 VERSIONS/ALTERNATE METHOD-----------------

BIOS:

boot=Legacy
Virtualization Technology=disable
CPUID=disable
everything else=enable

flags:

-v nv_disable=1 GraphicsEnabler=Yes EthernetBuiltIn=No

---YOU CAN NOT PARTITION WITH OS X INSTALLER DISK UTILITY---
------------------------------ONLY FORMAT-------------------------------

If you get stuck at the apple logo when booting into Yosemite directory reboot and try again.
If it continues to fail format the partition it was installed on and start over.
If it won't even boot you might have forgotten to put the patched kernel back into Yosemite. The installer does not do this for you. Read instructions again.

You may get stuck at the login the first time. If the beachball shows up, just reboot.
It will work the second time.

You have to install with multibeast before you can put extra v2 in there. I put the .zip and the contents of the folder directly. It worked that way.

DO NOT UPDATE GRAPHICAL DRIVER
If you do it may not work.

Mieze's driver is renamed to RealtekRTL8111 v1.2.3 in Multibeast>Drivers>Network>Realtek

HDMIAudio .sh probably will not work. If it doesn't just put HDMIAudio.kext on the desktop along with GenericUSBXHCI.kext and run KextBeast.

DO NOT REBOOT UNTIL ALL FILES HAVE BEEN INSTALLED/PLACED

First time you try to boot into OS X after all the drivers have been installed you may get stuck at "Ethernet" or "NTSF"
If you do you can reboot using -x it will get you in the door but some of your drivers like hdmiaudio will not be enabled. I'm currently looking into a solution for this.

-------------------------UPON REVISION SUCCESS
----------------------
---------------------------WILL WORK ON -X FIX------------------------

Edit --------------------------------------------------------------------
Are you using a wiped drive to install OSX on or did you create a partition?
If you are using a wiped drive that might be part of a couple of my problems.

It always gets stuck on the NTSF part of the boot. Maybe its trying to catalog the whole drive?
Should I just leave it for a couple hours?
The drive does contain about 100 gigs of data. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back