Intel
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Specification:
I9 6 core processor
16GB Ram
512GB flash disk, 1TB Hard Disk, 512GB M.2 (this is where I installed)
17 inch 120Hz Panel
Nvidia GTX 1080

Had to add a USB Wifi since Killer WiFi module is not supported, no panel brightness controls yet and no working computer sleep but everything else is working pretty well. Sound ok, Nvidia graphics full acceleration, dual display with DP tested (full resolution on both displays), factetime, imessage, iCloud Drive all working, Siri works, trackpad tap to click ok, display resolution changeable, the rear USB-C works with USB3 and USB2 devices, ethernet port works etc.etc

1. Use UniBeast version 8.3.1 and the 10.3.6 High Sierra install image to create the USB boot disk. Use Clover configurator to open the USB EFI and put Rehabmans VOODOOPS2Controller.kext into EFI/CLOVER/KEXTS/OTHER. Copy clover configurator and the latest Clover installer to the USB main drive (not in the EFI)
  2. Alienware 17R5 2018 bios set VT for Direct I/O to Disabled, Disable Secure Boot, Set SATA Operation to AHCI (I think I just ignored the warning it gave but then I believe I had to go into windows repair and let it fix windows because of the change (check online), If TPM firmware is enabled disable it.
  3. boot from USB drive and go to Disk utility, format the drive/partition you are going to install OSX on Mac Extended Journaled
  4. Reboot and boot from USB drive again
  5. Select Install OSX from USB and when the installer asks select the drive you formatted on the Alienware 17R5
  6. If the install aborts or Alienware restarts, boot from the USB drive and keep select the installer from the hard drive not the USB, keep doing this up to 3 times to get to the MAC setup screens.
  7. Once OSX is loaded copy clover configurator and clover installer back to the OSX desktop from the USB drive.
  8. Mount the USB drives EFI using clover and copy the EFI folder from it to the desktop.
  9. Unmount the USB drives EFI folder using clover configurator
  10. Run the clover installer select the customise option and have the following selected, clover for UEFI booting only, Install clover in the ESP, themes, Install RC scripts on target volume, install clover preference pane. Then install.
  11. Mount the EFI on the OSX drive and copy the whole EFI folder from the desktop to the EFI overwriting if necessary.
  12. In clover configurator load the config.plist from EFI/CLOVER and on the Install Drivers page uninstall OSXAptioFix1,2 and 3. Install AptioMemoryFix-64. Leave anything else as it currently is.
  13. At this point you should be able to reboot using the new boot option (power on laptop and press F12) without the USB drive.
  14. After reboot load Clover configurator, mount the OSX drive EFI again then load the config.plist from EFI/CLOVER. From the Kext installer install LILU, FakeSMC, and whatevergreen to /Kexts/Others.
  15. Download Nvidia web drivers and install, before rebooting use clover configurator to open the OSX drive PLIST and in SMBIOS set to iMac 14.2, in system parameters tick nvidiaWeb, in Boot tick NVDA_DRV=1 and untick NV_Disable=1.
  16. You should now be able to boot with full graphics acceleration.
  17. Copy the following kexts to OSX drive EFI/CLOVER/KEXTS/OTHER (mount with clover configurator), VoodooHDA.kext (sound), ACPIBatteryManager.kext (battery indicator), USBInjectAll.kext (USB - apply the correct port limit patch for High Sierra 10.13.6 in Clover configurator Kernal and Kext Patches section), HibernbationFixUp.kext (not sure this fixes anything though)
  18. if you want to set smbios to MacBook Pro 15.1 (a good hardware match) you have to also set a custom boot flag in clover configurator boot page of -no_compat_check
  19. do another round of Apple updates and then remove -no_compat_check. System info should now be reporting as a MacBook Pro (2018) although the processor identifies as an I7.
  20. load Clover configurator, mount the OSX drive EFI again and load the config.plist from EFI/CLOVER. Tick HWP in the Clover configurator CPU tab.
  21. To prevent missing mouse after screen wake set screensaver to come on before screen sleep (and make sure system sleep is off and password required when screen resumes).
  22. If after the latest security update you lose USB3 type this line into the clover BOOT flags section in clover configurator to exclude all the unused USB port allocations (assuming all Alienware 17R5s boot up with the same allocations) uia-exclude=HS03;HS05;HS06;HS08;HS10;HS11;HS12;HS13;SS01;SS02;SS03;SS04;SS05;SS08;SS09;SS10 you can also disable the port limit patch after doing this.
  23. Load Clover configurator, mount the OSX drive EFI again and load the config.plist from EFI/CLOVER. Add ig-platform-id of 0x3e9b0000 and tick the Inject Intel box. On the clover devices page ensure intelGFX Fake ID is set to 0x0000. This adds the UHD630 internal graphics on the next boot.
As an aside I have also had Mojave installed to the same level but the absence of Nvidia web drivers for Mojave means it is totally useless (but it did look rather nice and I will be upgrading as soon as Nvidia and Apple pull their finger out).

Feel free to enhance or correct any steps and offer solutions for the following:
Sleep no working
No brightness controls

Last edited:
Hello Clifton2, I have the Alienware 17 R5 i7-8750H GTX 1070, please could you share all your folder EFI, thank you

Where is the OSXdrive.PLIST on step 15

I have no sound on the alienware 17 r5 can somebody help me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back