Contribute
Register

Alienware 17r3: IGPU Failed to initialize graphics firmware, IOConsoleUsers: gIOScreenLockState 3

Motherboard
Alienware 0GH72M-U3E1
CPU
i7 6700HQ
Graphics
HD 530 / GTX 970M
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS, Other
Hardware:

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700HQ

Graphics:
- Intel HD Graphics 530
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M

Screens:
- Laptop: 3840*2160
- External: 1920*1080

Description:

Before I install the system, I copy-pasted the EFI from my friend's Alienware 17r3 who got a fully working Hackintosh installed.
The only difference from his hardware to my hardware is the display resolution.
He has a 1080p internal display, and I have a 2160p display.

When I install the system, the laptop IGPU screen works, but the external Nvidia one doesn't.
After it finishes the installation and moving on to the "Setup your mac" page, the laptop IGPU screen still works.
After "Setup your mac", everything is still normal.

Then I rebooted it, without any modification to the EFI or anything, IGPU stopped working.

What I assume is the error message:
"[IGPU] Failed to initialize graphics firmware. Falling back to host-side scheduling"

And then it is stuck on this:
"IOConsoleUsers: gIOScreenLockState 3, hs 0, bs 0, now 0, sm 0x0"
I tried to restart it but same error.

Now I have no display working, and it is stuck on boot.
However, it did boot with a glitchy graphics driver when "0x12345678" is injected for the Intel platform-id.

After I successfully booted with the glitchy driver, the internal display is working but glitchy.
So I installed the Nvidia Web drivers and restarted it.
This time I did not change the platform-id before boot, so it is still "0x191b000" or something.
And when it started up, the external worked but internal still stuck in the same place.

So now, I tried to inject "0x12345678" again see if they would both work, but no luck.
I've searched a lot of times and tried a lot of things, but no luck.

Then I tried this from this post:
Bash:
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions
sudo kextcache -u /
rm -rf /Users/*/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.windowserver*
After I executed those commands and rebooted with single user mode, both of the displays worked.

I thought this is the end of the problem but the internal display stopped working again after another reboot.
And now I tried the script again but no luck.

What could be the problem?

EFI attached with some information censored.

Attachments

Last edited:
CPU
intel core i7 third gen
Graphics
HD 4000
Hi! I have the same model of your friend, I’m trying to make it a Hackintosh, could you post the guides that you and your friend followed please?

Motherboard
Alienware 17 R3 A00
CPU
i7-6700HQ
Graphics
HD 530 - GTX 970M
Mobile Phone
iOS
That EFI is a disaster I have the same model I can help you I don't even know how you are booting with all those kexts its not correct the plist is wrong as well