Contribute
Register

Alienware 17 R4 (kaby lake) installation problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
You probably need to set the connector-type properly for the Nvidia.
You can do it with _DSM injection in ACPI.
I cannot find any guide for that, and what problem will that fix?

Last edited:
I cannot find any guide for that, and what problem will that fix?

You might refer to some of the example Nvidia patches in my laptop patch repo.
Setting the connector-type as HDMI (<00 08 00 00>) is an important part of enabling HDMI audio.

As far as your LID not working, you should check that your _LID method in ACPI is working correctly.
(you can use ACPIDebug.kext to debug it)

I think the problem is with Nvidia's driver in underscan. Even in windows when I used scaling in Nvidia's driver, it changed my resolution to 1862x1048. But when I use Dell Laptop, underscan works both in windows&mac without changing resolution.
I even used patch-edid.rb but still problem prevails. Another problem could be wrong edid in my TV's firmware. I tried modifying EDID but couldn't get any further.
With overscan, the screen is going out of display bounds. I cannot find any solution to set 1862x1048 or even underscan, as there is no slider. What can I do about this?

With overscan, the screen is going out of display bounds. I cannot find any solution to set 1862x1048 or even underscan, as there is no slider. What can I do about this?

Could be EDID issue.
Same problem on a real Mac with that display?
Or are you referring to your internal display?

Same problem on a real Mac with that display?
Or are you referring to your internal display?
No, I am talking about external 1080p TV Display.
No, this problem is not in MacBook or Hackintoshed dell laptop. I can underscan the screen in mac & windows on these laptops.

But in Alienware due to HDMI directly connected to Nvidia this problem is there. Infact, even in windows instead of underscan resolution is set to 1862x1048. But there is no provision to do as in mac. I am unable to set resolution to 1862x1048(not prefered) or even underscan. Maybe TV's EDID is miscalibrated & Nvidia cannot underscan. I was trying to change EDID using patch-edid.rb but cannot seem to understand what to change to fix this issue.

No, I am talking about external 1080p TV Display.
No, this problem is not in MacBook or Hackintoshed dell laptop. I can underscan the screen in mac & windows on these laptops.

But in Alienware due to HDMI directly connected to Nvidia this problem is there. Infact, even in windows instead of underscan resolution is set to 1862x1048. But there is no provision to do as in mac. I am unable to set resolution to 1862x1048(not prefered) or even underscan. Maybe TV's EDID is miscalibrated & Nvidia cannot underscan. I was trying to change EDID using patch-edid.rb but cannot seem to understand what to change to fix this issue.

Did you inject the correct connector-type for the Nvidia?

Just woking on that. But as suggested by @toleda , on pascal GPU's HDMI audio does't work. So to use DP->HDMI converter.
At the moment TV is connected to miniDP -> HDMI so at AppleIntelFramebuffer@2, I have connector-type <00 04 00 00> which is of DP. So I wouldn't need to patch for conector-type .

Update: My bad, I was checking under intel, Apple is under NVDA,Display-B@1. But is doesn't have connector type. Also updated ioreg.

Attachments

• CLOVER 4.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Just woking on that. But as suggested by @toleda , on pascal GPU's HDMI audio does't work.

Hmm... interesting I have HDMI audio working here on my Nvidia 1050Ti, but not DP audio.
That said, even HDMI audio is intermittent and a bit flakey.
I assume the drivers are just buggy.
Maybe for some they are even more buggy.

So to use DP->HDMI converter.
At the moment TV is connected to miniDP -> HDMI so at AppleIntelFramebuffer@2, I have connector-type <00 04 00 00> which is of DP. So I wouldn't need to patch for conector-type .

I'm a little confused.
What connector does the laptop have?
What connector does the TV have?
Have you tried a real computer monitor instead of a TV?

And...
AppleIntelFramebuffer@2 has nothing to do with Nvidia.

Update: My bad, I was checking under intel, Apple is under NVDA,Display-B@1. But is doesn't have connector type.

My laptop has both mini DisplayPort and HDMI(both are directly connected to Nvidia). My TV has HDMI, So I am using a mDP->HDMI adapter which goes to TV. At the moment I only have TV which I use as monitor.

But I don't plan to use Nvidia very much only for occasional Design work & 3D modelling. So, I have ordered a usb c 3.1->HDMI adaptor which will work on HD630. So, I will tackle HDMI audio issue another time.

Currently, the main issue is to fit the screen into TV display.

Also, is there any solution to thunderbolt 3 hotplug?

Attachments

• Vatsa Alienware.ioreg
    7.8 MB · Views: 128
  • IMG_3966.JPG
    IMG_3966.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 82
  • IMG_3967.JPG
    IMG_3967.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 76
Update: My bad, I was checking under intel, Apple is under NVDA,Display-B@1. But is doesn't have connector type. Also updated ioreg.

You need to create an SSDT to inject the connector-type property.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back