Contribute
Register

Alienware 17 R4 Installation Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
no upgrade - clean install, and no issue with iMessage. and yes the logon screen looked a little fuzzy, but I was able to enter my password and log in without issue

Just shows his AptioMemoryFix is a different file and then all of his extra ktexts and him missing the USBInjectAll.ktext

Logic dictates that one of those differences is making the result different.
The config.plist files are the same.

Yeah. If I get bored maybe I'll take out ktexts one by one to see what made the difference, or replace the AptioMemoryFix to see if that did it. Right now the key is to get everything to work.

CFB44, after some research apparently dell addresses to ALC298 as ALC3266... for who knows what reason. Let me know if you find a working patch for ALC298

www.dell.com/support/manuals/us/en/19/alienware-17-laptop/alienware-17-r4-setupandspecifications/audio?guid=guid-dfc38a41-d326-4964-b528-3715c20865bd&lang=en-us

Current issues to work out:
1) Funky fuzzy login screen
2) Audio drivers
3) WiFi drivers
4) iMessage activation fix

Overall it's come a long way from where it started. Desktop was DEFINITELY a much easier process for some reason.

Panics are logged on next boot as panic data is stored in NVRAM
Once it is logged, does it stay in NVRAM? Or else, could you point to to “where” it logs the panic. Maybe I could try including it in gen_debug.

Regards

Once it is logged, does it stay in NVRAM?

The system grabs the info from NVRAM, presents it as a KP report that you can forward to Apple, then stores the resulting text from the KP in /var/log somewhere, then it removes the report from NVRAM.

The system grabs the info from NVRAM, presents it as a KP report that you can forward to Apple, then stores the resulting text from the KP in /var/log somewhere, then it removes the report from NVRAM.
If I recall correctly, generating WiFi diagnostic report panics the system (at least in my case). Let me find exactly “where” it logs the panic.

Got it.

Screen Shot 2018-02-06 at 4.48.26 AM.png

Now need to implement it. Also, panic data is stored in some encrypted hex format in NVRAM under the key "aapl,panic-info" and it stays there until we reboot.

Regards

Okay so for the funsies, I took CFB44's clover... changed the NvidiaWeb=True and removed the boot flag... boots up GREAT, super fast, everything in the GUI is very responsive, everything functions (aside from stuff that I have to fix like wifi, etc).

The only thing I can't resolve is this fuzzy screen. It goes away after logging in but comes back every single time I reboot.

View attachment 310999

After password...

View attachment 311000

Attaching my current Clover, the CFB44's edition with NvidiaWeb=True. I don't know what he has in it that I didn't in mine, but it's helped a lot with progress.

Change Backround. Fix Funky fuzzy login screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back