Contribute
Register

Alienware 17 R3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool. So was the installation of el Capitan straightforward, or did you have to change / add flags and stuff? If I follow the instructions for installing el capitan I'm good? even with the usb 3.0 problem?
To be honest I've just reverted back to El Capitan. I was struggling to get Audio working and there were menu bar GFX glitches etc going on. My El Cap is pretty solid so I'm sticking with it for now.

regarding formatting i left windows 10 alone on the NVMe SSD drive and split my 1GB sata in half (1xHFS+ and 1xNTFS) then installed to the HFS (i intend to purchase another NVMe drive later for OSX)

most of the pitfalls i ran into are covered on this thread. the biggest hurdle was using the correct USB port limit patches to get the installer going (but as RehabMan kindly pointed out this was only because i was using a USB 3.0 stick for installing)
I know it sounds lazy, but I'm really frustrated with this. Would you mind sharing your clover folder for El capitan?

i'll send you some files tomorrow afternoon when i'm back in the office. in the meantime you should extract your dsdt/ssdt files. if you can boot to clover with a usb then press F4 and it will populate your Clover/ACPI/origin folder with the native bios files. we can then decide to ignore or patch them without affecting the motherboard (clover looks at the ACPI/patched folder first so we put files in there which we may want to alter). Then in config.plist we say 'ignore the motherboard files (DropOEM=Yes) and instead look at what we have 'patched'

this is already done in the config.plist i give you but is based upon 'my' motherboard files not yours? (i know we have same system but you could have different bios version etc)

ssdt3 has important usb related instructions so we want to ignore that one (leave it in origin folder not patched) and any ssdt with 'x' in the name is dynamic and we also leave in origin folder. So you should have a 'patched folder full of DSDT and SSDT .aml files that are not 'SSDT3.aml' or any SSDT?x.aml files.

We now have a set of DSDT or SSDT files that can be patched or tweaked without affecting the motherboard. there is a guide for when/if you need it but basically you will put these files in a new folder (maybe on desktop). Decompile them using a program (iasl) , then patch them and recompile back to .aml files. then put them back in the 'patched folder'

look at how my clover/ACPI folder looks to get the idea......but really you should empty the origin and patched folders before you Clover F4?

in theory you might not need to do any 'patching' but now you know what it is just in case.

i'll send you some files tomorrow afternoon when i'm back in the office. in the meantime you should extract your dsdt/ssdt files. if you can boot to clover with a usb then press F4 and it will populate your Clover/ACPI/origin folder with the native bios files. we can then decide to ignore or patch them without affecting the motherboard (clover looks at the ACPI/patched folder first so we put files in there which we may want to alter). Then in config.plist we say 'ignore the motherboard files (DropOEM=Yes) and instead look at what we have 'patched'

this is already done in the config.plist i give you but is based upon 'my' motherboard files not yours? (i know we have same system but you could have different bios version etc)

ssdt3 has important usb related instructions so we want to ignore that one (leave it in origin folder not patched) and any ssdt with 'x' in the name is dynamic and we also leave in origin folder. So you should have a 'patched folder full of DSDT and SSDT .aml files that are not 'SSDT3.aml' or any SSDT?x.aml files.

We now have a set of DSDT or SSDT files that can be patched or tweaked without affecting the motherboard. there is a guide for when/if you need it but basically you will put these files in a new folder (maybe on desktop). Decompile them using a program (iasl) , then patch them and recompile back to .aml files. then put them back in the 'patched folder'

look at how my clover/ACPI folder looks to get the idea......but really you should empty the origin and patched folders before you Clover F4?

in theory you might not need to do any 'patching' but now you know what it is just in case.
Oh man! Thank you so much! I'll get right on it. Thank you for putting the time into explaining this! You are awesome!

Ok, so I tried populating with f4 and changing the config.plist, but I'm still getting the error allocating runtime error. The only for
Time I got past that error was using your folder, but with the Sierra installer. But as you said, it's not working very well. I think it's a good idea to go with El Capitan. I just can't get it past clover...

Ok, so I tried populating with f4 and changing the config.plist, but I'm still getting the error allocating runtime error. The only for
Time I got past that error was using your folder, but with the Sierra installer. But as you said, it's not working very well. I think it's a good idea to go with El Capitan. I just can't get it past clover...

Boot verbose, show photo. Attach EFI/Clover folder as ZIP (omit 'themes' folder).

I know it sounds lazy, but I'm really frustrated with this. Would you mind sharing your clover folder for El capitan?

sorry for the delay but here is my El Cap Clover Folder

CLOVER.zip

This is straight from my usb 3.0 stick (which is why it has the 'Port Limit' fix in the config.plist. Apparently not needed with USB 2.0 Stick but i've not tested)

once you've installed El Cap and reached the desktop you can install Clover to HDD and copy elements from USB Clover to HDD Clover.

For some reason im struggling to get audio and ethernet working this time round (previous install just worked but struggling this time).

RehabMan - should my previously working ethernet kext (AtherosE2200Ethernet.kext) go in S/L/E or stay in EFI folder?

running AudioCodecDetect command outputs this:

HDMI audio codec(s)

Onboard audio codec
Codec: Not supported
Unknown: 0x11020011
FIX, consider Voodoo or Google search for compatible AppleHDA.kext
Error: no IOReg/HDEF; BIOS/audio/disabled or ACPI problem; FIX:
ghdefpciname = NONE
ghdefpciname1 =
BIOS problem, set BIOS/.../HD Audio/Enabled
ACPI problem, try:
https://github.com/toleda/audio_ALCInjection/tree/master/ssdt_hdef/
ssdt_hdef-1-no_ioreg/hdef
No system files were changed
To save a Copy of this Terminal session: Terminal/Shell/Export Text As ...
logout
Saving session...
...saving history...truncating history files...
...completed.
Deleting expired sessions...none found.

[Process completed]

let me know how you get on? share your updates/successes and we can get these machines going.

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    2.2 MB · Views: 177
RehabMan - should my previously working ethernet kext (AtherosE2200Ethernet.kext) go in S/L/E or stay in EFI folder?

It depends on whether FakeSMC.kext is installed to the system volume and the setting of config.plist/SystemParameters/InjectKexts

See guide (post #2) for details: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/

For audio, read FAQ: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

thanks RehabMan, i'm finally getting to grips with this......

i'm posting these screenshots for reference only
Screen Shot 2016-10-18 at 20.57.58.png Screen Shot 2016-10-18 at 20.58.13.png

so i'm thinking VoodooHDA but also CodecCommander (i think i had this in previous working El Cap but didnt know it at the time)

just out of interest how can i implement a timer on clover boot loader (so it auto selects after say 5 secs)?

so i'm thinking VoodooHDA but also CodecCommander (i think i had this in previous working El Cap but didnt know it at the time)

Or patch AppleHDA for your codec.

just out of interest how can i implement a timer on clover boot loader (so it auto selects after say 5 secs)?

config.plist/Boot/Timeout

Hey Lukini2006, I've attached some new files for you.
1. EFI/Clover for your HDD install
2. Kexts to install to S/L/E (System/Library/Extensions) but you need to use Kext Wizard or similar
3. Set of tools for install/testing (including Kext Wizard)

I've got audio and battery info working as well as energy saving settings and Ethernet should be working (not tested with a cable yet).

Dont expect your NVidia GTX 980M to work (it wont!) you can only use the native Intel HD530 1.5gb GFX as laptops wont allow dual graphics.

Your Wifi wont work until you replace the Wifi card with a compatible one (search for BCM94352Z, i ordered from amazon but coming from china and will take 2-3 weeks!)

Here are the files for you Working El Capitan 191016.zip

Attachments

• Working El Capitan 191016.zip
    24.8 MB · Views: 185
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back