CPU
Ryzen 5 2600
Graphics
RX 590
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello all, Sorry for my absence. I come back with another alienware thread...I've done a fair bit of research regarding this laptop and every time the limiting factor has been optimus. But due to some cosmetic defects on my alienware 17, dell was "nice" enough to upgrade mine to the 120Hz 3D panel.

This model is interesting as it has the Intel HD disabled due to its inability to run at 120Hz. So that means no optimus. While I've seen other posts about this, I never saw a definite success story, so that's where this thread comes in. I will document my steps and be able to provide a definite answer.

Planned steps;

1. Modify kernel for early reboot
  2. Replace Intel Wireless

That's perhaps all I can think of on the "before" attempting list.

My only fear is that the Nvidia card (860M in this case) still goes through the intel GPU for output, so if anyone could expand upon that it would be great. Until next time, KM

Hello all, Sorry for my absence. I come back with another alienware thread...I've done a fair bit of research regarding this laptop and every time the limiting factor has been optimus. But due to some cosmetic defects on my alienware 17, dell was "nice" enough to upgrade mine to the 120Hz 3D panel.

This model is interesting as it has the Intel HD disabled due to its inability to run at 120Hz. So that means no optimus. While I've seen other posts about this, I never saw a definite success story, so that's where this thread comes in. I will document my steps and be able to provide a definite answer.

Planned steps;

My only fear is that the Nvidia card (860M in this case) still goes through the intel GPU for output, so if anyone could expand upon that it would be great. Until next time, KM

Optimus is not difficult to deal with. Either remove the nvidia kexts (NVDA*, Geforce*) or preferably, try to use the nv_disable=1 kernel flag.

Optimus is not difficult to deal with. Either remove the nvidia kexts (NVDA*, Geforce*) or preferably, try to use the nv_disable=1 kernel flag.

What I mean to say is I'm going to try and use the Nvidia GPU since I assume the Intel one is hardware disabled.

What I mean to say is I'm going to try and use the Nvidia GPU since I assume the Intel one is hardware disabled.

Oh... ok... I misread your post...

Planned steps;

Hey, do you have any results until now? Because I have the same notebook, and I'm trying to install yosemite on it.

Unfortunately not. This laptop didn't last long in my hands (too heavy).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back