Contribute
Register

Alienware 15 R3 USB-C Video question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've attached both variants of the properties. Note that I cannot "turn on" the Wacom display using the 591b ig-platform-id as it results in an abrupt restart.

Thanks again.

0x59120000 seems to be working. It shows your display connected to the 0105 port.
But you need to patch that port to be connector-type DP <00 04 00 00>, because it seems it is marked HDMI, which of course is not correct based on what you're saying regarding the physical port type.

Note: Your kextcache shows some obvious problems you should fix with the set of kexts you installed.

0x59120000 seems to be working. It shows your display connected to the 0105 port.
But you need to patch that port to be connector-type DP <00 04 00 00>, because it seems it is marked HDMI, which of course is not correct based on what you're saying regarding the physical port type.

Note: Your kextcache shows some obvious problems you should fix with the set of kexts you installed.

Yes, it works, but keeps glitching. Also, the iGPU does not appear in system report.
Either way, I've patched the connector-type to DP, but no improvements. I need to tidy up my install as I've been chipping away parts of it due to switching to WhateverGreen. Hence the problem in the kextcache. I'll spend some time on housekeeping tomorrow.

Thanks

4k may require larger DVMT-prealloc and patches to match.

May have to do with your SMBIOS choice.

I'm still working on it... Can't seem to find a reason for the glitch. There's only a handful of programs that get glitchy (complex 3d objects get glitchy as well). The glitches stay if I change the resolution. However, I found that if the display is ON during boot-up, the glitches don't appear. So, my temp solution is to reboot the PC every time I connect my tablet. Which is inconvenient, but... works.

I recon the reason that the only working ig-platform-id is 59120000 (desktop) is that it's not an Optane config. That would make sense?

Attachments

• report files.zip
    2.6 MB · Views: 66
Great. Let me know the result when you manage to change DVMT-prealloc.
I'm not going to mess with BIOS integrity. There isn't an easily accessible setting in BIOS that I can change... So I suppose I will have to live with it.

I guess this could be marked as solved, as I get 4K video through my USB-C. Thanks again for your help!

4k may require larger DVMT-prealloc and patches to match.

May have to do with your SMBIOS choice.
Correction:

If I bootup with monitor on, it doesn't glitch, however the computer restarts abruptly when doing a graphics intensive task.
If I'm not able to change the DVMT-prealloc, would you suggest going back to IntelGraphicsFixup? I'd lose 4K, but at least I'd be able to use the Tablet.

Attachments

• report files.zip
    2.6 MB · Views: 71
would you suggest going back to IntelGraphicsFixup? I'd lose 4K, but at least I'd be able to use the Tablet.

Your decision, not mine.

Your decision, not mine.
Tried going back to IntelGraphicsFixup, ended up with the same glitching problem.
The only thing left to do is increase DVMT-prealloc size in BIOS which I can't do. So, a dead-end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back