Contribute
Register

Alienware 15 R3 USB-C Video question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad I stumbled upon this thread! :D
@gussyrider, were you able to use the USB-C for video output?

Though new to Hackintosh, I'm trying to set up my Alienware 15 R3 for daily macOS based tasks (mostly iOS app builds) and I only use the external monitor through USB-C cable. Is your overall experience stable?

Glad I stumbled upon this thread! :D
@gussyrider, were you able to use the USB-C for video output?

Though new to Hackintosh, I'm trying to set up my Alienware 15 R3 for daily macOS based tasks (mostly iOS app builds) and I only use the external monitor through USB-C cable. Is your overall experience stable?

Hey @xeoneux!
Well, the answer is yes, but no.

I got USB-C video working, but 4K was too much for it. It's down to DVMT-prealloc size, which is just too small. I experienced video glitches and random reboots when graphics got a bit more complex (like rapidly moving a window).

The display, on its own, seemed to work perfectly (appart from the glitches and reboots), I was able to hotplug it as well. (However, you lose the USB-side of things, but the display goes through fine). Thunderbolt and sleeping doesn't go well with this machine, so you "lose sleep" as well.

I ended up not using the thunderbolt port at all due to some annoyances (no hot-plugging and "too much current" USB error from time to time).

Sorry for the bad news.

Tried going back to IntelGraphicsFixup, ended up with the same glitching problem.
The only thing left to do is increase DVMT-prealloc size in BIOS which I can't do. So, a dead-end.
How did you get thunderbolt to work? I have an Alienware 17r3 on Mojave and when I try to load Mac OS from the ssd with thunderbolt it won't load?

Update!
I had a bit of time off work, decided to improve my quality of life by fixing the Thunderbolt problem I have been having (hot-swapping). I've reached a point I set out to, only with the help of the people that posted in this forum earlier, so I feel like I owe it them to make this post.

The good news:
  1. TB is operational, WITH hot-swapping, 4K video, etc. Read: Thunderbolt Wacom Cintiq Pro 16HD is fully operational.
The bad news:
  1. 4K is glitchy. I assume it's down to DVMT-Prealloc size, which I cannot change (32MB). Framebuffer (fbmem or stolenmem) patches had no effect, AAPL,GfxYTile had no effect. Glitches range from an annoyance (Small elements of UI fuzzy) to completely workflow-breaking (Chrome is inoperable, Autodesk Sketchbook Pro is inoperable). This having said, the interesting part is that the glitches persist on other monitors (which are essentially connected to different GPUs). I will look into fixing these glitches, but it's not a priority to me right now, because CLIP STUDIO runs just fine.
  2. Thunderbolt port "breaks" after sleep.
  3. Need to boot with thunderbolt device plugged-in
The notes:
  1. Haven't looked into getting audio through TB
  2. If, by any chance, you start getting AppleUSBXHCIPort errors or "over-current" problems - you need a cold boot.
I will attach the Clover folder to this post, but please note that I have just started with a clean setup with my main priority to get the Thunderbolt working. There are Device Properties to get the 4K video running, but that's about it. Everything else still needs to be set up.

In short, all you need is IOElectrify.kext by @the-darkvoid with the correct IOPCIPrimaryMatch (Mine was 0x15da8086) in the info.plist, and a pair of of ACPI patches that will get things running. (See attached Clover/ACPI/patched). IOElectrify.kext needs to be installed in /Library/Extensions (only then I started getting stable results).

OFF-TOPIC BELOW

For anyone searching the forums, regarding this weird silly Alienware 15R3 i7-7700HQ GTX 1070 G-SYNC, it's important to understand that:
  • The built-in laptop screen is run by the Nvidia GPU. There's no way around it!
  • The Display Port port is run by and handled by Nvidia GPU as well.
  • The Thunderbolt Type-C is run by Intel's GPU (HD630)
My current setup:
High Sierra 10.13.6 (17G3025)
4K monitor on the DP port (Nvidia)
HD built-in monitor (Nvidia)
4K Cintiq (via Thunderbolt) (Intel HD630)
Main kexts: IOElectrify, Whatevergreen, Lilu, cloverHDA,

Disclaimer: I'm a complete normie that has no experience in programming, nor I fully understand how to make a good hackintosh. I just had time to read a lot of forum posts and assembled all bits of information into one package. Please do not use my Clover for an actual system, it's for "seeing how it looks" only.

References:
RockJesus Git (Translate from Traditional Chinese)
Dakvoid Git
Good Thunderbolt development thread 1 (Tonymacx86)

Good Thunderbolt development thread 2 (Tonymacx86)

Attachments

• Clover-TB.zip
    1.5 MB · Views: 156
  • Screen Shot 2019-11-11 at 00.21.29.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-11-11 at 00.21.29.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 139
  • Screen Shot 2019-11-11 at 00.21.51.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-11-11 at 00.21.51.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 132
  • Screen Shot 2019-11-11 at 00.22.58.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-11-11 at 00.22.58.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 154
  • Screen Shot 2019-11-11 at 00.23.33.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-11-11 at 00.23.33.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 159
Hacking along with this build.
Sort of hit a brick wall with the Intel HD630 4K Glitches.

This is probably due to DVMT-Prealloc, but I'm curious whether there are any ways around it. As mentioned before, it's not a deal-breaker, just an annoyance, but I would be eternally at peace if I find a fix for it.

Some facts regarding these glitches:
  1. Reducing the resolution doesn't help.
  2. Glitches are very intermittent. But there are a few specific apps that are having REAL issues with it. (Clover Configurator is glitchy 100% of the times). Usually, it's fully covered in this static-like pattern. (Maybe it's a problem with transparency?)
  3. These glitches also appear on other screens that are connected to a different GPU (Nvidia). Once the IntelGPU-driven display is disconnected, the glitches go away.
  4. Before fully configuring the IntelGPU, dragging the problematic windows around the screen resulted in an abrupt reboot.
I've attached the problem reporting files to this post. If anyone is interested in helping - I'm willing to try and experiment.

Using Whatevergreen + Lilu.

Edit: I'm aware that my framebuffer-fbmem and framebuffer-stolenmem values are incorrect. Fixing the values did not fix the glitch problem I am having and resulted in reduced resolution.

Attachments

• 15R4 Debug 13nov.zip
    2.6 MB · Views: 109
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back