Contribute
Register

ALC892 audio disappears randomly on High Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
What was playing on what app when CoreAudio crashed?

Booted into macOS, opened Safari, headed to YouTube. Clicked play on any video - audio crashes. I could repeatedly reproduce this. Audio would restore itself after like 5-10min. Try again, same crash.

I understand you only support iTunes music, but posted the error in case someone else has experienced this and have found a solution.

I definitely didn't have this issue in macOS Sierra. This must be related to High Sierra only. I haven't picked up whether this is only in browsers to be honest. I very seldom use iTunes, but audio in the browser (any browser) definitely seems like a guaranteed way of breaking the audio.

Last edited by a moderator:
Same issue on my build. Sound always work from a fresh boot the. After I work on Final Cut Pro, iTunes and google chrome browsers to watch YouTube videos the sound just cut out. And it fixes itself after a couple minutes.

Sometimes when it cut out I just plug in a headphone and unplug the sound will come back but it is not a reliable solution

Same issue on my build. Sound always work from a fresh boot the. After I work on Final Cut Pro, iTunes and google chrome browsers to watch YouTube videos the sound just cut out. And it fixes itself after a couple minutes.

Sometimes when it cut out I just plug in a headphone and unplug the sound will come back but it is not a reliable solution

Did you find a solution for this yet? This seems an ongoing issue for me too. I see you have an Asus motherboard too. Maybe somehow related to our range of motherboards?

Did you find a solution for this yet? This seems an ongoing issue for me too. I see you have an Asus motherboard too. Maybe somehow related to our range of motherboards?
Unfortunately, I couldn’t really solve it via software.

But I got an audio technica USB DAC and just plug my speakers to the 3.5mm Jack on the USB DAC as the solution.

But I got an audio technica USB DAC and just plug my speakers to the 3.5mm Jack on the USB DAC as the solution.

Yeah I'm afraid we're along on this issue. @toleda This seems to be very specific to our motherboards. Only thing I can notice is that danieltwnz has an Asus P8Z77V PRO and I have an Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3. Seems these motherboards are very similar. I'm not sure why more people arent experiencing it, but mine is for sure a guaranteed audio disappear with every use. I guess the only other alternative is just to get a different sound device like danieltwnz did.

What was playing on what app when CoreAudio crashed?

Is there a way to restart Audio once it's crashed? The only thing I've seen online is to kill the coreaudiod service, but that makes no difference in how long it takes for my Audio to recover. Rebooting is not ideal. Typically I have to wait about 5-10min before Audio works again (if not rebooting).

I can also confirm this happens with pretty much any audio I use in macOS, be it VLC, Chrome, Safari or any app or game.

Alternatively, is there any particular audio device other than my motherboard built-in ALC892 that I can purchase that'll work? I see no approved audio devices on the buyer's guide, other than those built into motherboards.

Today I removed CloverALC and tried the AppleALC method (not sure how I missed that there was another method). CloverALC uses a realtekALC.kext where AppleALC uses AppleALC.kext & Lilu.kext. So far I've not had my audio disappear. I'll continue to test this, but just from initial testing it seems to be a lot more stable.

I even managed to get 5.1 Surround Sound working. On AudioID 2 there's talk of port repurposing, but that didn't work for me. I could only get sound out of one port. I switched to AudioID 1 (still using AppleALC, not CloverALC) and created an aggregate audio device that now supports my 5.1 Surround Sound setup. Very happy so far.

Reporting the same issue. High Sierra, ALC892, CloverALC, AudioID is set to 1. Different Motherboard, though. Mine's an ASRock 970 Extreme 3. Also I never use Safari and sound usually crashes after playing any random video in chrome.

Same issue here, my build as follows Intel dh87rl MOBO, i5 4590, GTX 780 TI, ALC892 audio chipset. Catalina build everything seems to work perfect even sleep and wake. Using TP link WN725N dongle for wifi. Audio disappears randomly. Using Apple ALC kext, audio id set to 1, high current flow checked reset HDA checked. My problem doesn't stops here. Have to enable and disable this every time to make audio work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back