Contribute
Register

ALC889 AppleHDA.kext (10.7.x Lion)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm having very mixed results with ALC889 audio, using the same motherboard as the originating author of this post (GA-P55A-UD4P).

My process of installation is as follows:
1) Install OS X Lion via the Unibeast method
2) Install Multibeast with the AppleHDA Rollback and ALC8xxHDA Kexts
3) Use the DSDT from the DSDT database with the only modification made to allow my graphics card to work
4) Boot into Lion, no audio
5) Install AppleHDA kext 10.7.2 kext attached to this thread via Kext Utility
6) Repair Permissions on the disk
7) Reboot and the audio works
8) Reboot and the audio does not work

System Profiler shows the proper audio information (Audio ID: 889), yet the Audio Midi Setup shows no devices.

The error messages in the console says that com.apple.audio.coreaudiod crashes, restarts, crashes, restarts, etc. This slows down my system considerably.

More specifically, the error log says:
Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000000

These error messages appear about 5 times a minute.

I cannot get consistent results. Advice is appreciated!

What a difference a day makes. I thought I had unplugged all my peripherals, but when I checked this morning, there was one thing plugged in... my Digidesign M-Box 2. I unplugged it and voila, perfectly working audio. I had not installed Pro Tools or the M-Box drivers yet, as I was looking to get a perfectly working install before moving forward with my extra hardware. Once I install the drivers, I'll report back on whether or not the issue arises again.

I am using an edited DSDT with the AppleHDA Rollback and the ALC8xxHDA Kexts from MultiBeast.

Just an update, i installed 10.7.2 and used the 10.7.2 kext in the first post on my GA-Z68X-UD5-B3 board and it seems to work ok for me.

My case has the HD audio (front panel) cable connected, both the headphone sockets work on the front and rear of the case, not tried any other connectors yet.

However, I do experience kernel panics a few seconds into a call to "Skype Call Test" using the latest version of Skype. I was using the 10.6.2 AppleHDA and the ALC88x kext from multibeast 4.1 and had the same problem with skype.

Any fix?

Hi,
Just tried this on mew build
z68x-ud4-b3 lion 10.7.0. Works beautifully. Dolby Digital and DTS are back! Also tested for true 5.1 and true DTS...all good!! Thanks!

The problem is, that my mobo only has 3 ports (red, green and blue)

How make it work's?

I've been using a modified AppleHDA on my Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3 (ALC889) since I got it a few weeks ago and it's been working like a charm. Then all of a few days ago I started getting this cracking sound when there hasn't been any audio for a few minutes.

I searched the forums and this seems to be a common problem, but it's strange since it was working completely fine until a few days ago. The only changes I've made were adding a bluetooth USB adapter and both an apple wireless keyboard and magic mouse. Do you think that might be causing the problem? Should I try to roll back to a Time Machine backup from a week ago (before the problem)?

I tried repairing permissions and running Kext Utility. I also tried reinstalling my AppleHDA.kext file using Kext Utility, but the cracking sound is still there and it's driving me insane. Any tips? Thanks!

Does anyone have the original AppleHDA.kext from 10.7.1 (v2.1.1 I think)?

Will this work for Asus p6x58d premium 889 as well or is it mobo specific?

oheavens2betsy said:
Will this work for Asus p6x58d premium 889 as well or is it mobo specific?

This is NOT motherboard specific.

So all i do is edit dsdt by pasting code over my HDEF lines(all of them) and install the kext you provided. Then my spdif will work in lion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back