Contribute
Register

ALC888b without old AppleHDA.kext possible? [SOLVED]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apple doesn't seem to offer support for more than stereo sound by default, have you ever seen a Mac with more audio jacks than that?
You'd have to get yourself a sound card that's supported by snow leopard by the manufacturer and then I guess you might be able to get surround sound.
Here are some suggestions http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jsp ... &tstart=75 although a bit old.
You should be able to get pretty much any PCI card with the ICEnsamble/VIA Envy chips to work (the real sound cards, not onboard HDA crap), but you might have to try a few different drivers. M-Audio doesn't seem to be doing "cheap" sound cards any more, but you might be able to find a second hand one on the cheap. Terratec should be the next given company to try, but again it looks like you have to go down the second hand route. Generic drivers can be found here for the Enty24HT and Envy24 audio controller http://www.audio-evolution.com/drivers/
If you don't mind an external USB box, then this should do the trick http://www.terratec.net/en/products/dri ... 19875.html

I actually figured it out why it's showing those funky names, from my Java development days :) The 10.6.2 AppleHDA.kdext Tony posted (at least I think that's where I got it, but still super grateful to Tony!) doesn't have a file that translates properties name/value pairs. In your /S/L/E, do "Show Package Content" on AppleHDA.kext, you'll notice in Contents/Resources, you only have "DefaultAudioLevels.plist". You need a directory called "English.lproj", with "Localizable.strings" file. Copy the directory from another Sl installation, or use Pacificst to extract it out of the 10.6.2 combo update. Fix disk permissions. Bingo. You shouldn't even need to restart!

Hey junying-
Nice find- looks like I didn't post the fullly updated 10.6.2 AppleHDA.kext version. :oops:

I just extracted the 10.6.2 AppleHDA from Pacifist and it doesn't have those strings in it. When you update the kext initially, it doesn't replace the strings from 10.6.0, but if you install the kext manually it replaces everything, therefore removing those extra files.

Here's the 10.6.2 AppleHDA with everything the way it would be if you just installed and Combo Updated. It should be absolutely vanilla now, and have no weird namings ;) Sorry for the confusion- glad it works!

Public/10.6.2%20AppleHDA.kext.zip

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-01-31 at 11.22.42 AM.png
    Screen shot 2010-01-31 at 11.22.42 AM.png
    57.7 KB · Views: 387
  • Screen shot 2010-01-31 at 11.22.45 AM.png
    Screen shot 2010-01-31 at 11.22.45 AM.png
    127.2 KB · Views: 398
@thelostswede

thanks for the tips. i have a presonus firebox actually which is similar to the usb device you mentioned so i can probably use that as long as i make sure to get the right cables for whatever amp i get. that's too bad we can't use the motherboard sound driver properly, but i'm sure that would be extremely hard to get working like it does in windows.

@junying

nice call. i implemented your fix using the files from the 10.6.1 kext and it worked perfectly.

@tonymacx86

thanks for that link. i implemented that in after and it works great too. just repaired permissions and it worked without me even having to restart

Glad I could help.

Now onto digital output of the UD2 board. Has anyone tried it? I'm also connecting the mobo's spdif out to my nvidia 9600 gso's spdif in. The sound doesn't seem to go to the HDMI and to my TV. When I select digital as the output, I don't even have volume control. Would be interested in your experience.

Thx.

Is it possible to enable multichannel output by changing pin configuration in DSDT?
That's the only thing I'm missing currently after removing VoodooHDA and switching to LegacyHDA+DSDT patch.

I've got mine up and running with partial sound. Using Tony's latest i7-860 dsdt with speedstep, the AppleHDA, and LegacyHDA_ALC888B. Without the legacy one, I had no sound. The Multibeast also installed vodooHDA. I removed it and haven't had any other problems.

I'm still missing 5.1 or 7.1 out of the SPDIF port. It only does 2.1 right now. Any ideas?

Thanks for all of the help.

Tim

I must be missing something. Here's what I just tried:

In Extras/Extensions:
LegacyHDA_ALC888B.kext
VoodooHDA.kext

In S/L/E:
AppleHDA.kext (vanilla)

I even tried an external USB Logitech audio card. It worked, but also only did 2.1.

Any ideas? I also tried adding an aggregate device in the midi editor without any luck. The audio still worked, but was still 2.1. Thanks.

Tim

BTW- I'm on 10.6.2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back