1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Centris
  2. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
This might belong in Desktop Support but my question is maybe more general...

My Asus Hero VIII board (running a 10900, OpenCore 0.8.0) has the typical variety of 5 colored back-panel mini-phono audio ports, plus a TOSlink port.

The board's audio chip is an advanced form of ALC1220, called the ALC4080. Its design summary says it's backwards compatible with ALC1220; same block diagram, but with upgraded specs for S/N ratios, etc.

Audio works. AppleALC.kext gets things going with no layout selection required. But the sound devices appear as a pair of generic "Realtek USB2.0 Audio" for both input and output. One reaches the headphones output and the other the mic input — these are all I've tried. Typically, a Mac has sound selection choices with a more specific designations.

Is access to these additional details part of AppleALC layout selection? Or do I need to do something like USB port mapping for sound?

I tried a few layout IDs mentioned for the ALC1220 an none offered more than AppleALC's default selection, appearing as generic devices.

Should I keep trying other layout IDs?

The Dortania Guide on audio doesn't cover these details directly.

I also read:

These last two guides are now a tough read because they are Clover oriented and dated info.

Again, I've only tried headphones and mic, I could try TOSlink but it's not important to me for now.

I DO NOT have the case module connected to the board audio header right now, if this matters at all.

TIA for any advice

ALC4xxx are USB-based audio chipsets, so there's no audio layout to select but the corresponding USB port must be included in macOS USB map, with type 255/internal. And that should be it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back