Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS ZenBook UX430UA-DH74
CPU
i7-8550U
Graphics
Intel 620 1920x1080
I provided Mirone my codec_dump.txt and he was nice enough to patch AppleHDA for me, and send me updated config.plist, dsdt.aml and kexts (codecCommander+AppleHDA).

I have nothing listed under system preferences ->sound -> devices.

Can anyone help with this, can this be some layout ID issue ? I'm not too familiar with sound patching.

Cheers,

Attachments

• codec_dump.txt
    10.8 KB · Views: 135
  • debug_9849.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 89
Last edited:
@toleda is this something you can help me out with? This is my last step to getting 100% workable build on my new laptop!

many thanks,

P.S. Under IOreg I did notice that I have HDEF but layout-id is 00 00 00 00. I am not expert in this area of hacking audio but I believe I should have some layout id mentioned here? Mirone told me to set inject audio to "no" so that's what I am using.

I provided Mirone my codec_dump.txt and he was nice enough to patch AppleHDA for me, and send me updated config.plist, dsdt.aml and kexts (codecCommander+AppleHDA).

I have nothing listed under system preferences ->sound -> devices.

Can anyone help with this, can this be some layout ID issue ? I'm not too familiar with sound patching.

Cheers,

You are not injecting a proper layout-id. Look at your ioreg under HDEF and you find layout-id <00 00 00 00>.
It is due to your _DSM->XDSM patch in config.plist.
_DSM that you added to HDEF is being renamed to XDSM, therefore ignored by AppleACPIPlatform.
Look at DSDT.aml in your patchmatic -extract output and the mistake is obvious...

Ok thanks @RehabMan.

As per your help in my other Intel 620 thread I had enabled _DSM -> XDSM to make SSDT-IGPU.aml effective due to existing _DSM methods in OEM SSDTs. So how can I how keep this without messing up HDEF?

Note that HDAS rename to HDEF is disabled in config plist as the DSDT has been patched to contain HDEF entries.

Getting sound to work is the last step I need to make this a great workable hackbook, it is everything I expected it to be and serving me well as replacement MacBook. Love this little machine!!!

Thanks of course to all your help!

Last edited:
ok for now I removed rename _DSM -> XDSM patch from config.plist as yes I can see in DSDT from patchmatic that I have XDSM branch when if should stay as _DSM.

I added this patch to DSDT so I don't need to inject layout-id in config.plist.

Code:
into method label _DSM parent_label HDEF remove_entry;
into device label HDEF insert
begin
Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)\n
{\n
    If (LEqual (Arg2, Zero)) { Return (Buffer() { 0x03 } ) }\n
    Return (Package()\n
    {\n
        "built-in", Buffer() { 0x00 },\n
        "layout-id", Buffer() { 0x03, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00 },\n
        "hda-gfx", Buffer() { "onboard-1" },\n
        "PinConfigurations", Buffer() { },\n
    })\n
}\n
end;

In IOreg I see the layout ID is now 3 but still no devices listed under system -> sound.

Last edited:
Ok thanks @RehabMan.

As per your help in my other Intel 620 thread I had enabled _DSM -> XDSM to make SSDT-IGPU.aml effective due to existing _DSM methods in OEM SSDTs. So how can I how keep this without messing up HDEF?

Note that HDAS rename to HDEF is disabled in config plist as the DSDT has been patched to contain HDEF entries.

Getting sound to work is the last step I need to make this a great workable hackbook, it is everything I expected it to be and serving me well as replacement MacBook. Love this little machine!!!

Thanks of course to all your help!

You can use SSDT-HDEF to inject layout-id/etc.
(eg. once you start to use hotpatch stuff, best to stick with hotpatch...)

Last edited:
Thanks @RehabMan - I read these guides and now was able to put rename _DSM -> XSDM back and a SSDT-HDEF in my patched folder so that my layout ID was been registered by the system properly. :clap:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-patching-laptop-dsdt-ssdts.152573/
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-using-clover-to-hotpatch-acpi.200137/

What I learned from all this is that it means my _DSM branch from HDEF is still being renamed to XDSM but I'm adding my own hotpatch (SSDT-HDEF) to circumvent the problem created by creating a new needed branch on the fly. But it means the wrong branches are also included in ACPI which I found kind of counter intuitive but I guess this method works just fine.

On the AppleHDA patching front of things, Mirone's patched AppleHDA I could not get to work but I had contacted insanelydeepak this weekend who was able to patch AppleHDA for me and now I have decent external speakers and mic working now for ALC294. He says he will work on getting headphone jack and external mic working for me next. This practically complete's my UX430 build and I can only thank you for helping me with all of it along the way. I understand the process a lot more now thanks to your help and also forcing myself through a lot of trial and error and lots of reading.

:thumbup:

Thanks @RehabMan - I read these guides and now was able to put rename _DSM -> XSDM back and a SSDT-HDEF in my patched folder so that my layout ID was been registered by the system properly. :clap:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-patching-laptop-dsdt-ssdts.152573/
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-using-clover-to-hotpatch-acpi.200137/

What I learned from all this is that it means my _DSM branch from HDEF is still being renamed to XDSM but I'm adding my own hotpatch (SSDT-HDEF) to circumvent the problem created by creating a new needed branch on the fly. But it means the wrong branches are also included in ACPI which I found kind of counter intuitive but I guess this method works just fine.

The rules to keep in mind:
- config.plist/ACPI/DSDT/Patches applies to native ACPI extracted from BIOS and injected by Clover, and also any ACPI/patched content which replaces such bits (eg. matching SSDTs in ACPI/patched due to AutoMerge=true, ACPI/patched/DSDT.aml)
- config.plist/ACPI/DSDT/Patches does not apply to add-on SSDTs (eg. SSDTs that don't match or when AutoMerge=false)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back