ASRock Z490 phantom gaming ITX/TB3
CPU
I9 10850k
Graphics
RX 5500 XT/UHD 630
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi there,

Recently Airdrop stopped working on my hack and I haven't been able to fix it. It works between iPhone and iPad but not when I'm trying to send something from the hack to iPhone/iPad or from the iPhone/iPad to the hack where it stays in waiting status.

I have tried toggling bluetooth off and on, deleting Bluetooth plist from /Library/Preferences and reseting Bluetooth but so far it's not working :(
Handoff, continuity etc. are working without an issue... This Airdrop thing is annoying, is there anything else I can try to fix it? Thanks a lot!

Screen Shot 2021-10-01 at 11.20.26.png

Screen Shot 2021-10-01 at 11.21.50.png

Screen Shot 2021-10-01 at 11.34.27.png

On the first screenshot showing the iPad and iPhone change ‘Allow me to be discovered by’ - “Contacts Only” to “Everyone”

Thanks Edhawk, I switched to "everyone" on hack, iPhone and iPad and restarted all devices but it still doesn't work. Both devices are seen by Airdrop on the hack but files cannot be sent or received

1. Do you have any specific Firewall rules enabled to block access from other devices on your Hack?
  2. Do you have a third-party Antivirus/Firewall app installed?
  3. Do you need to add the iPhone and iPad as 'Safe/Allowed' devices?
Are all three devices using the same Apple ID? This is not necessary but I am curious.

I assume that Handoff is enabled in your Hack.

Screenshot 2021-10-01 at 15.22.01.png

That your Ethernet and/or WiFi network interfaces are connected,

Screenshot 2021-10-01 at 15.22.24.png Screenshot 2021-10-01 at 15.25.01.png

That your Bluetooth interface is enabled and discoverable by other devices,

Screenshot 2021-10-01 at 15.29.31.png

That Bluetooth preference pane doesn't look like this: Bluetooth is turned Off

Screenshot 2021-10-01 at 15.31.02.png

Can't think of anything else that might cause AirDrop not to work between your Apple devices & your hack.

If you select a photo on your iPhone or iPad, can you select the 'send to' icon? This icon looks like a box with an arrow projecting from the top. Does it show your Hack in the list of options? Does it list AirDrop as an option along with message, email etc?

Hi Edhawk,

Thanks a lot for your feedback, much appreciated. I haven't turned on the firewall, have all my devices as allowed and have no antivirus also checked that everything is well connected. Handoff is enabled and Continuity works.

After testing, it turns out that Airdrop was working all the time.... it just that the antennas of the ASRock Z490 phantom gaming ITX/TB3 are absolute s***. For Airdrop to work, my iPhone or iPad need to be really really close to the antennas but I don't have this issue with handoff or Universal Clipboard for example where my iDevices don't need to be that close from the hack.

I am now using antennas from my previous build but this hasn't changed things so I have ordered these hoping it will improve transmission between devices:

For what it's worth, I have replaced the motherboard's wifi/bt card with a BCM94360NG when I built this hack.
Let's see if the new antennas will do the trick :|

This is not that uncommon, have a read of Jaymonkey's guide/tips for using extension cables to get over this issue.

I second @Edhawk recommendation to look at Jaymonkeys solution. I followed this guide, used extension cables, big difference with connection stability. However, I had the same problem this evening with airdrop and the "stuck in waiting" from iPhone to my hackintosh. I signed out of icloud on the hack, rebooted, signed back in to icloud and then airdrop from the iPhone to the hack was instant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back