Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Other
Hi everyone, I am completely new to these things as I had a mac till few months ago and I had the idea to switch to windows... but now I am not sold with it and I really need to go back to what I was used before.

I have been watching hardware compatibility and it seems that I have almost everything ok. I have some doubts about my mainboard as it is an ASUS P8Z77-V, which looks like it is not supported. Do any of you know if I can make it work anyway? (I am asking because I don't want to run into problems that depend on hardware and I don't understand what I am doing wrong with).

I also have some concerns about the wi-fi card, since the mainboards have their own I was wondering if there is a particular reason why buying a second one.
Last concern is about graphic cards. I actually have a Geforce 660 plus the card integrated with the mainboard. I use both graphic cards as I need to have 4 screens in my computer. Will the integrated card be compatible or I should buy a second identical card (geforce 660?)

Thanks in advance for the advices.

Hi everyone, I am completely new to these things as I had a mac till few months ago and I had the idea to switch to windows... but now I am not sold with it and I really need to go back to what I was used before.

I have been watching hardware compatibility and it seems that I have almost everything ok. I have some doubts about my mainboard as it is an ASUS P8Z77-V, which looks like it is not supported. Do any of you know if I can make it work anyway? (I am asking because I don't want to run into problems that depend on hardware and I don't understand what I am doing wrong with).

I also have some concerns about the wi-fi card, since the mainboards have their own I was wondering if there is a particular reason why buying a second one.
Last concern is about graphic cards. I actually have a Geforce 660 plus the card integrated with the mainboard. I use both graphic cards as I need to have 4 screens in my computer. Will the integrated card be compatible or I should buy a second identical card (geforce 660?)

Thanks in advance for the advices.

The P8Z77-v is totally compatible with the exception of the WiFi. If sleep is not important to you, just install NullCPU kext from MultiBeast post install.
If sleep is important, just flash the BIOS. you can either use a pre-patched one from biosrepo.wordpress.com or you can patch your own - see http://biosrepo.wordpress.com/2013/02/20/how-to-flash-unsupported-motherboards-via-ftk-and-dos/

With the patched BIOS flashed to your board it is as easy as installing on a Gigabyte board or easier.

Hi, thanks for the hints, it looks like there are a bunch of things that I have to learn (such as patching the bios) :)
As for the graphic card, should I buy a second one or I can use the internal card plus the geforce in order to have my 4 screens working?

Thanks again :)

Hi, thanks for the hints, it looks like there are a bunch of things that I have to learn (such as patching the bios) :)
As for the graphic card, should I buy a second one or I can use the internal card plus the geforce in order to have my 4 screens working?

Thanks again :)

You can use mixed on-board and discrete gfx, but don't expect the HD4000 to be as sharp and clear as the gfx card - put your lowest resolution displays on the mainboard ports.

yes, in this moment I am doing so on Windows.

It is good, I started thinking that I should have bought tons of new stuff, and amazingly enough I don't have to change anything.. cool!!
I am just very very concerned about flashing the bios, I don't want to ruin my mainboard, maybe it is a very simple process, I have to see :)

yes, in this moment I am doing so on Windows.

It is good, I started thinking that I should have bought tons of new stuff, and amazingly enough I don't have to change anything.. cool!!
I am just very very concerned about flashing the bios, I don't want to ruin my mainboard, maybe it is a very simple process, I have to see :)

Check in MultiBeast - there may also be a patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext available.

Thanks again. Does it mean that if this patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext is available I can avoid flashing the bios?

Thanks again. Does it mean that if this patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext is available I can avoid flashing the bios?

Is there an alternative to the modified bioses?
Yes; a patched appleintelcpupowermanagement.kext, or nullcpupowermanagement.kext

However, these alternatives have their downsides.
the patched aicpupm kext has to be reinstalled after most OSX updates. Also, if the aicpupm is updated by Apple, the new aicpupm kext must be patched, and this is not always immediately done or available.

nullcpu overrides native power management, therefore sleep and speedstep will not work.

Using a modified bios is the cleanest way, as it requires no alterations or additional kexts to OSX.
https://biosrepo.wordpress.com/faq/

yep you can use the patched aicpupm kext instead of a patched bios, but i would go for the patched bios.
it isnt scary, and its a one time thing. hundreds, if not thousands of people have done it over the last 2 years

Thanks for the information :)

I have decided that I don't want to back things up, so I have ordered another set of hard disks and SSDs, as soon as I receive them I'll start messing everything up lol :D:thumbup:

Edited because it was in the wrong section

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back