Contribute
Register

After Yosemite update some USB ports not working

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you!!! I just deleted it as described... Now it works just fine :)

Great to hear! Thank Stork :p

I did this and now all of my USB 2 ports are working stably, but none of my USB 3 ports are working.

Sorry that's not working. I would try to boot in verbose mode with "-v" boot flag and check if you see anything interesting about USB. Also, check system info under the USB section and maybe post what you have. Worst case, reinstall Yosemite and remember to not select USB 3.0 in MB--that's what I did.

Rule of thumb, install only what you need to get started, add other things later. Over installing is bad because cleanup can be annoying

My process is a clean install
Boot loader
FakeSMC

^That's it. reboot. I don't even add audio and trim until second boot when I know system is in a stable state and all my hardware (other than sound) is working quite right. After that I do

HD Audio for appropriate ALC
Trim

Reboot again. Alternatively you do all 4 of these at once first boot but again i say NO MORE THAN THESE 4 unless you are on an older board. newer boards simply don't need all the extra stuff and often times adding any of it breaks things. I've managed to break USB before, i've managed to break ethernet. I've even managed to break booting before by installing things cause I read description and thought "oh that sounds important". yeah, it probably was important, to some series 5-6 series board.

Remember, if you can't boot because you missed something, you can always put the USB back in, and use that to boot your system and install more things, so just always follow minimum rule until it "just works"

this defect occurs me before installing Multibeast.....just when first installing of Yosemite start.
GA Z87 MX D3H - i7 haswell - HD 4600

I have a z77-ds3h and I had to remove generichusbxhci.kext from extensions. I ignored cache and had an unrecoverable error in verbose mode. I had to boot back in with my mavericks partition and disable the -f -v. When I booted my Yosemite drive usb 3 was working properly.

Moral of the story is, refresh the cache while you are booted in Yosemite, after you remove the kext and then reboot. The boot flags set didn't work for me.

After update, USB 3.0 ports not working with my ASUS P8P67, it was working with Mavericks.

If I delete the GenericUSBXHCI from S/L/E, my usb3 ports don't work, so all of you with no working USB3 ports (me included) after deleting GenericUSBXHCI.kext, you can test this Kext. It's for 10.10 but not the same included in MB. It works for me.

You can give a try.

Attachments

• GenericUSBXHCI.kext.zip
    55.4 KB · Views: 2,020
If I delete the GenericUSBXHCI from S/L/E, my usb3 ports don't work, so all of you with no working USB3 ports (me included) after deleting GenericUSBXHCI.kext, you can test this Kext. It's for 10.10 but not the same included in MB. It works for me.

You can give a try.

Thank you! The new kext works for me as well. Now my USB 3.0 ports can recognize USB 2.0 devices like before. I used the following commands to install the kext:

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/GenericUSBXHCI.kext
sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/GenericUSBXHCI.kext
sudo kextload -v /System/Library/Extensions/GenericUSBXHCI.kext
sudo kextcache -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions

Then reboot.

Thank you! The new kext works for me as well. Now my USB 3.0 ports can recognize USB 2.0 devices like before. I used the following commands to install the kext:

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/GenericUSBXHCI.kext
sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/GenericUSBXHCI.kext
sudo kextload -v /System/Library/Extensions/GenericUSBXHCI.kext
sudo kextcache -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions

Then reboot.

It did not work first:confused:, then i have deleted the Extensions/GenericUSBXHCI.kext put the new one there , and did the magic on the terminal.. looks like its working now. :headbang:

Using the linked kext and running the terminal commands makes USB 3.0 work, but after rebooting it seems like it's not loading the kext and will only work if I re run the commands. Anyone know how to fix this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back