Contribute
Register

after market cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just installed the Scythe Mugen 3. It's considerably less expensive than other similarly-rated coolers and it comes with the excellent Sycthe Slipsteam PWM fan as well.

I'm running my i2600k at 4.5 Ghz and have never seen temps over 75 deg C even after hours of Prime 95 and some simultaneous FurMark (to heat up the GPU and raise ambient temps in the case).

Under idle the fan is only turning about 400 PRM and so is totally silent. It can run all the way up to 1900 RPM, though mine has never gone past 1600 RPM for a few seconds. Even under full load it's usually running about 1200 RPM and is still quieter than the HDD seek noise, for example.

The only caveat is that it's pretty large, so case clearance may be an issue. Also, install your RAM first so you can reach the slot closest to the CPU. The fan can be moved up and down to clear RAM heatsinks.

120mm fans like the CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Plus, Hyper 212 EVO (marginally better but ~$15 more expensive), and Xigmatek Gaia are good if your case is wide enough. Otherwise, you'll have to get something in the 92mm range, like the Xigmatek Loki.

(This assumes you're getting a cooler where the fan is perpendicular to the CPU. I don't know about parallel-fan coolers.)

mutron said:
mrhooks said:
120mm fans like the CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Plus, Hyper 212 EVO (marginally better but ~$15 more expensive), and Xigmatek Gaia are good if your case is wide enough. Otherwise, you'll have to get something in the 92mm range, like the Xigmatek Loki.

(This assumes you're getting a cooler where the fan is perpendicular to the CPU. I don't know about parallel-fan coolers.)

good info , thanx, i sorted out my cables and opened up all the airflow in my coollermaster case and added thermal compound to my heatsink, now im hitting 30 on idle and 50 on load, think ill get a cooler soon and see how i can overclock, should i overclock an i3 in an h7n board???

That i3 can not really be overclocked since it doesn't have turbo states and multiplier is locked. All you can overclock is bclk and that won't get you much higher, at the moment world record for your cpu seems to be 3.28 GHz and I'm pretty sure that it is not a stable overclock : http://hwbot.org/submission/2237950_ffo ... 286.24_mhz

mutron said:
i applied thermal paste and opened up all vents on my cooler master 335, now my idle temps are 33 and 45 on load......is it worth getting a cooler if i cant overclock my i3?

No reason to do that, your current temps are just fine.

hacman said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065 :thumbup:

Do you think that cooler Master would fit in the Custo Mac Mini Case? APEX MI-008 Mini-ITX

lol no that for full tower case :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back