Graphics
Geforce GTX 660
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
After installing Catalina I can only use Ethernet, but there's no Wireless option. Any idea?

After installing Catalina I can only use Ethernet, but there's no Wireless option. Any idea?
depends on what wifi card you have, make and model

and to make sure you have done this:

I'm using TPLINK TL-WDN4800 802.11N 450 MBPS PCI-e

It used to work fine with El Capitan.

what have you done in order to make it work? I checked the official website it doesn't even have a driver for mac 0_o.. I have 2 adapters Tenda U1 and tenda V7Tw311Ma and these adapters have support up to 10.14 mac version (mojave).. Is there a something you do in order to make them work!?!?

I'm having a similar problem. I've updated my Z390 hack from Mojave to Catalina (10.15.4) via the macOS update path (that is, not a clean install - but using OSX to update itself since I'm using Clover UEFI bootloader). Prior to doing that I updated clover to the latest version (5118), updated my kexts for Lilu (1.4.4), WhateverGreen (1.3.9), and AppleALC (1.4.9), and added AirportBrcmFixup (2.0.7) which I didn't previously have. I've also got USBInjectAll (0.7.1) and FakeSMC (1800) which didn't seem to need any update.

I've followed the guide on this forum for running multibeast 12, cleaning up the /L/E folder, and then recache. Seems like absolutely everything is working fine except no WiFi. I've even got bluetooth, which is coming from the same Bcm94360csax card that previously gave me excellent WiFi under Mojave.

I've installed Hackintool v3.4.0 and it confirms I've got AirportBrcmFixup 2.0.7 installed, along with all the other kexts listed above. However in my System Report for WiFi is shows AirPort Utility: Not Installed.

As the misbehaving system has no WiFi it's a bit of a hassle to get info off it and to this forum, but if there's some more info that can help diagnose this problem I'll be happy to fetch it and get it posted - just not sure what that info would be.

Any clues what could be borking up my WiFi?

Any clues what could be borking up my WiFi?
Maybe it is Atheros ? Apple dropped support for Atheros wireless in Catalina.
There is a workaround, use Search for details.

Maybe it is Atheros ? Apple dropped support for Atheros wireless in Catalina.
There is a workaround, use Search for details.

I believe Apple made BCM94331xxxx cards also lost support with Catalina. As far as I know, only BCM94360xxxx cards are still officially supported.

AirportBrcmFixup may get the BCM94331xxxx cards working again... I'm not sure. I haven't personally tried.

Problem found and solved! Apparently I needed to do a slightly better job of cleaning up the /L/E folder. When I followed the guide I linked above I only removed kexts that were specifically mentioned on the first page of that guide. Upon further inspection I found I also had an errant IO80211Family.kext in there (left over from my first hack I suspect, as that build had used a different WiFi card).

The clue was when I executed kextcache that one showed up as not having a valid signature, thus giving away that maybe it didn't belong there. Noob that I am, I didn't recognize it as a WiFi relevant kext until I googled it. Once I got that file out of /L/E and recached and rebooted Wifi is working fine!

This may not be the right place to ask my next question, but curiously the only kext left in /L/E that's giving me an invalid signature warning is FakeSMC.kext. Is it safe to pull that one out too? It's also in my /EFI/CLOVER/Kexts/Other so I'm suspecting the answer is yes, but I'm hesitant to remove it if doing so could cause my system to not boot.

UPDATE: Apparently yes, FakeSMC.kext can be removed from /L/E if it's in /E/C/k/O!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back