Contribute
Register

After install Mac OS, which is the best way to have Windows?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi.

After have Snow Leopard installed, which is the best way to get also Windows 7?

My main OS will be Mac OS, and Windows 7 for gaming only.

What do you think?

My HD configuration depends on this anwer...

This one :
WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA3
WD Caviar Green 1TB SATA2 64MB

Or this one :
WD Caviar Black 500GB SATA2, for Snow Leopard
WD Caviar Black 500GB SATA2, for Windows 7
WD Caviar Green 1TB SATA2 64MB

It's easier to do dual OS with two drives, but you can do it either way. If you do decide to install on a seperate drive, just unplug all the other drives while installing Windows, then plud them back in with the Mac drive getting priority via the bios. I'm assuming the second option has the 1TB for games in Windows or storage in Mac. I'd personally pick the second option, and I'd grab Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB/1TB drives instead. They're faster and generally cheaper. In fact, you could probably buy three Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB's for the same price two 500GB Blacks and a 1TB Green will cost you.

So, it's better to get separate drives?

I could get two Spinpoint F3 1 TB...

Does Bootcamp work?

wii46 said:
So, it's better to get separate drives?

I could get two Spinpoint F3 1 TB...

Does Bootcamp work?

Neither option is "better", using two drives is just easier, and yes two F3 1TB's wouldn't be a bad way to go imo. Boot camp does not work. You use Chameleon/PCI EFI, which will show both of your drives on boot up, and then you select which OS to go into. :)

Am currently dual booting from one drive and have no hassles at all.
If you decide to do it from one drive its best that you install Win7 first, then Osx.
Once thats done, run multibeast, then before reboot, mark osx partition as active.

Sudds said:
Am currently dual booting from one drive and have no hassles at all.
If you decide to do it from one drive its best that you install Win7 first, then Osx.
Once thats done, run multibeast, then before reboot, mark osx partition as active.
If you do this, make sure you partition the disk first using Disk Utilities from the Snow Leopard installation disk as GPT. Otherwise, you won't be able to install OS X later.

I was planning to dual boot, but it seems as if I run into trouble since I installed Mac OSX first. Installing Windows 7 on a MS-DOS partition and then using Chameleon to boot gives me a disc error. But just to make sure, this is how you do it, right?

1. Open Disk Utility > Create Partition > Set as MS-DOS and apply
2. Insert iBoot disc and boot by using it
3. Instead of choosing Snow Leopard, replace the CD to the Win 7 install DVD
4. Hit F5 to make it appear
5. Run it and install.

It's just that on the next boot-up, I won't get dual boot without inserting the iBoot DVD. But if I do that while Windows has not finished its installation cycle, it will give me that disc error. =(

Edit: Lol, that didn't seem to get me anywhere. Anyway, all I really need to keep on the Mac OSX platform I'm using, is my iWeb work. I've figured out how to export my project into a folder, but I have yet to figure out how to import it again into iWeb. That is possible, right? :yawn:

Vote: Separate drives = Better.

If you install on separate drives it is easier and you have more options after.

You can move either drive to a new machine if desired in the future and you can disconnect either drive at any time, which does sometimes become necessary.

Jimmy

So, I will do this :

Snow Leopard : WD Caviar Black 500 GB + WD Caviar Green 1 TB

Windows 7 : WD Caviar Black 500 GB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back