Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus X99-A
CPU
Intel i7-5930K
Graphics
Asus Strix GTX 970
Hello everyone,

I have had success getting both my integrated HD4000 graphics plus my GTX 660 ti working simultaneously on my hackintosh. I referenced this thread to get the HD4000 working by editing org.chameleon.Boot.plist with the information found on this post (THANKS to Robbish and Toleda): http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/...y-display-hd4000-secondary-display-how-2.html

I am now trying to figure out how different software packages handle the distribution of graphics resources across multiple monitors. I am testing with Final Cut Pro X, Davinci Resolve, and After Effects CS6.... specifically to see how each handles OpenCL, OpenGL, and Cuda when connected to different monitors. Right now I'm trying to figure out the best setup for After Effects.

I currently have two monitors connected to the HD4000 (one is a HDTV), and one main monitor connected to the GTX 660 ti. I have Cuda working fine... but for some reason it seems to be using the HD4000 for OpenGL. I would prefer to have After Effects to use the GTX 660 ti for both Cuda AND OpenGL. My question is... is there a way to do this without unplugging both monitors connected to the HD4000? Can anyone help determine how After Effects selects the appropriate GPU for OpenGL when multiple GPUs are connected? Please see reference pic below.

Much thanks!

System:
i7 3770K (OC to 4.6Ghz)
GA-Z77X-UD5H
32GB 1600Mhz RAM
Gigabyte GTX 660 ti 2GB (OC version)
Vertex 4 256GB SSD
3TB RAID-0 (6x 500GB HDD)

Attachments

• AE_opengl.jpg
    AE_opengl.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 722
Motherboard
OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.2
CPU
i7-3770k
Graphics
intel hd4000, looking for a GTX card
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Sorry, I'm new to this forum so don't have anything useful to address your question; but thought your experience with FCP X and combination of HD4000 and GTX660ti graphics could provide some insight for my build.

If you had it over again would you select the GTX660ti over other graphics card solutions for optimum use of both onboard video via HD4000 and the graphics card, in particular with FCP X? Any manufacturer's cards in the GTX 660ti series any more compatible than others with Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5-TH and FCP X?

After I built my rig I discovered this thread and I'm happy that it is quite similar to the yours and Slugnet's video editor. I have it stable using i7-3770K at stock speed and using no graphics card (only 3770K onboard video) with FCP X in ML. Used the Unibeast/Multibeast and Chimera 2.0 boot loader approach. I held off on getting a graphics card since I read conflicting reports regarding compatibility of 660ti cards and FCP X. This is the primary use for this machine, so now that it is stable I want to select the most compatible card with FCP X, but still want to take advantage of both HD4000 and graphic card GPU.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated, as I'm ready to pull the trigger on a card, and price/performance wise the Gigabyte 660ti card was at the top of my list.

Thanks, -Jim

Motherboard
Asus X99-A
CPU
Intel i7-5930K
Graphics
Asus Strix GTX 970
In regards to your question, yes I would recommend the GTX 660 Ti for use with Final Cut Pro X, as long as you are using OSX 10.8.2 and use the Nvidia Graphic card driver. I had issues with getting OpenCL to work properly with this card and OSX 10.8.3, so I had to revert to 10.8.2. FCPX uses OpenCL, so it is important that that feature is working well with your card. I was able to get the 660 Ti working with HD4000 graphics, but I ended up just disabling the HD4000 graphics because it was too confusing to make sure the correct programs were using the correct graphics cards at the correct time. I used FCPX, Resolve, After Effects CS6, and 5DtoRGB lite, and it all depended on which programs were opened on which monitors at which time.... and that got very confusing, and it affected whether or not CUDA was activated among other things. But I am very happy with the performance of the 660 Ti.

Status
Not open for further replies.