Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@JCMunsonII

I can't recommend r5109 at all, tbh xD.

I think they have to fix multiple bugs until upgrading becomes a viable option again.
Yeah, I might end up going OpenCore...after I do a bit of learning...

Yeah, I might end up going OpenCore...after I do a bit of learning...
Ouch! Don't be masochistic! :D It's not trival to learn, and, after each update, it's a new learning process. It's on Beta 0.5.7. I'd wait until 0.9 is released.

@JCMunsonII @Stork

I just started learning about OpenCore, it really is a huge topic you start taking among yourself... Been up all night, probably still going to investigate further for a few hours xD. Got booted successfully, graphics and audio seem to work fine, trackpad and battery don't (battery because of DSDT patches that I still need to find out how to appy on OpenCore...). And also, some boots just get stuck on AppleNVMe assert failed. But hey - progress! I won't give up.

Generally speaking, OpenCore seems much more lightweight and future proof - it may be worth the hassle.

Ouch! Don't be masochistic! :D It's not trival to learn, and, after each update, it's a new learning process. It's on Beta 0.5.7. I'd wait until 0.9 is released.

To be honest, the guide is so easy and well written that it wasn't that hard at all getting started with OpenCore. It even forced me to finally extract and edit all of the necessary ACPI tables. The only hassle is editing the config.plist after every monthly update, but now OC's tools can diff and even automatically add any missing lines. Clover is still an excellent bootloader, but is far more bloated and less reliable. E.g., without doing anything but correctly switching to OpenCore, sleeps finally works on my machine (it hadn't since Catalina's first release, maybe even back to Mojave's last update) and the boot time has been reduced to less than half it was under Clover. Plus, AptioMemoryFix is now built-in.
Therefore, I can't but strongly recommend OC (unless you're using a laptop): switching isn't hard if you have some experience and the advantages are very well worth it. As someone else stated, it's the future, in the next years OC will supplant Clover, just like the latter did with Chameleon.

To be honest, the guide is so easy and well written that it wasn't that hard at all getting started with OpenCore. It even forced me to finally extract and edit all of the necessary ACPI tables. The only hassle is editing the config.plist after every monthly update, but now OC's tools can diff and even automatically add any missing lines. Clover is still an excellent bootloader, but is far more bloated and less reliable. E.g., without doing anything but correctly switching to OpenCore, sleeps finally works on my machine (it hadn't since Catalina's first release, maybe even back to Mojave's last update) and the boot time has been reduced to less than half it was under Clover. Plus, AptioMemoryFix is now built-in.
Therefore, I can't but strongly recommend OC (unless you're using a laptop): switching isn't hard if you have some experience and the advantages are very well worth it. As someone else stated, it's the future, in the next years OC will supplant Clover, just like the latter did with Chameleon.

I mean... Getting off the ground is pretty easy with some knowledge of hackintoshing... But getting everything working is a whole different story. For example, my trackpad and my battery do not work. The battery has a patch, which I know works, but which I can't apply it here because it's only in MaciASL format. The trackpad probably required one of clover's fixes (HPET, IPIC, RTC, TIMR, ...), and none of those are available in OpenCore.

Maybe I just don't find anything useful on the web, but imo there is way too less information about the whole SSDT part of OpenCore. :(. Really lost right now, I think I'll have to stick to clover for a little longer.

I mean... Getting off the ground is pretty easy with some knowledge of hackintoshing... But getting everything working is a whole different story. For example, my trackpad and my battery do not work. The battery has a patch, which I know works, but which I can't apply it here because it's only in MaciASL format. The trackpad probably required one of clover's fixes (HPET, IPIC, RTC, TIMR, ...), and none of those are available in OpenCore.

Maybe I just don't find anything useful on the web, but imo there is way too less information about the whole SSDT part of OpenCore. :(. Really lost right now, I think I'll have to stick to clover for a little longer.

I just want to add something: The trackpad works! And it only didn't work because of my own stupidity - again. I totally forgot that you need to specify the kexts in the right order of injection.

Also, for other people having this issue: VoodooI2C has a lot of stuff to be aware of. Loading, for me including the VoodooI2CHID satellite, works in this order: VoodooGPIO plugin, VoodooI2CServices plugin, VoodooInput plugin, VoodooI2C itself, VoodooI2CHID satellite.

If you mess this up, the opencore log (at EFI/ location) will tell you something like this:
04:226 00:074 OC: Prelink injection VoodooI2CHID.kext () - Invalid Parameter

I totally forgot that you need to specify the kexts in the right order of injection.

Can you tell me how do you especify the order of the kexts? I've just installed Catalina in my laptop (Acer Aspire 5) and the only problem is that, despite the trackpad working fine, the laptop keyboard doesn't work.

@balder16

What are you using for your keyboard? VoodooPS2? I don't quite know the proper order of that, since I don't use it, but there is something called OC Snapshot in propertree, that should get the order sorted, since VoodooPS2 f.e. is well-known.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back