Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> After 10.14.4 Update, Apple Watch Stopped Unlocking Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed @esetnik they are indeed the same symptoms.

I am and it is making a liar out of me... it's back to the way it was. Says unlocking but then just times out, still allows approval of certain things and handoff.... SMH. Sorry for the false hope, it was a great hour or so.
I have the very same issue. It says that is unlocking but it just times out.

I'm on Catalina 10.15.2, using Dell DW1560 Wi-Fi Card, with BT and Wi-Fi working, as well as Handoff and Continuity...

Tried to disable and re-enable Wi-Fi, tried to un-check and check the "Unlock with Apple Watch" option, I also tried to restart Apple Watch.

Unfortunately, it's still not working...

I had the same issue on a desktop, my wifi was enabled but not connected to any network, I didn't know it was mandatory for the unlocking to work since other features were working fine. Thanks for your help guys

So update to the apple watch struggles I have experienced. During the most recent update to the OS 10.15.7 i botched the install and ruined my EFI folder on the boot volume, after a ton of effort to get booted back into the OS, I replaced the EFI folder with the one created on my new boot stick (Clover 5119) where I moved my config.plist, extensions and USB mapping files to the new folder. I was then able to update. Once completed I just for the S's and giggles, i though lemme try my watch to unlock... and voila it worked, but not only did it work the first time like the last time... it has now survived multiple reboots, I think I had something wrong with my long standing EFI folder and the update fixed it. Either that or Apple has fixed something in the OS that allows for the watch. Good luck to all getting it working again.

Last edited:
So update to the apple watch struggles I have experienced. During the most recent update to the OS 10.15.7 i botched the install and ruined my EFI folder on the boot volume, after a ton of effort to get booted back into the OS, I replaced the EFI folder with the one created on my new boot stick (Clover 5119) where I moved my config.plist, extensions and USB mapping files to the new folder. I was then able to update. Once completed I just for the S's and giggles, i though lemme try my watch to unlock... and voila it worked, but not only did it work the first time like the last time... it has now survived multiple reboots, I think I had something wrong with my long standing EFI folder and the update fixed it. Either that or Apple has fixed something in the OS that allows for the watch, and I might add sidecar to work on my system. Good luck to all getting it working again.
Another update, I had lost the ability again to unlock my mac again! after a power outage... weird cause, and it caused my boot times to increase a lot. I did some searching on the matter and found a thread on the forums here discussing slow boot times and the AudioDxe Driver. I removed it and the boot times are back to normal as is the Handoff, AppleWatch unlock etc are all working again. I don't know if it is a quirky driver for the startup chime that is causing this issue, but it worked for me so I thought I would share.

Transitioned from Clover to Open Core. Watch continues to work. Used the Vanilla Guide and rebuilt the entire EFI from scratch, also upgraded to Big Sur. All is well.

So. I updated my MacOs to Big Sur and migrated to Opencore. I "studed" open core guide very careful and made all my SSDT and USB mapping . Apple Watch can unlock Mac and all other secure things (except locked notes). Side car, continuity, handoff, etc. all work .
But, after wake from sleep, 90% of times watch unlock won't work. I m pretty sure its because BT or/and wifi take big delay to "wake".
After wake, on login screen, my magic trackpad do not work during 5 seconds , because bluetooth is not ready. After that, watch unlock come back at same time as trackpad. Must has be realted to this big reconnect delay
Cant find a solution for this
:(
Im using Fenvi T909 card.

Edited: Today I had the prove that have nothing to do with Fenvi T909 wake delays. I could unlock with watch and neither bt and wifi has waked. So there other thing who is preventing watch unlock to work all the time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back