Contribute
Register

Advices to get it done !

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LME

Hi everybody !

Mac user since 2008 (iMac, MBP 13" and customized MBP 15")
I'm now wise enough to know exactly what I need / want from a computer.
That's why it seems to be the perfect time to start building a hackintosh on my own ! :headbang:

After many nights, reading tonymacx86 topics, comparing and gathering informations, I'm seeking support from this community. :geek:
CASE : BitFenix Pandora Noir (or Aerocool DS)
POWER : Be Quiet 600W Pure Power L8
MOTHERBOARD : Asus Z97M-Plus
CPU : Intel Core i5-4690K
GRAPHICS : Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 (2GB GDDR5)
MEMORY : Crucial Ballistix Sport (2x4GB 1600 MHz)
SYSTEM DRIVE : Samsung 840 Evo 250Go (OSX Yosemite)
STORAGE DRIVES : 2 Segate Barracuda 1TB (1 for Windows / 1 for Data Storage)
WIFI CARD : TP Link PCI-E TL-WDN4800
BLUETOOTH DONGLE : Belkin F8T065bf
DVD BURNER : Asus DRW-24F1ST​

Thanks in advance for your comment, advice, approbation.
Long life to Tonymacx86 !

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everybody !

Mac user since 2008 (iMac, MBP 13" and customized MBP 15")
I'm now wise enough to know exactly what I need / want from a computer.
That's why it seems to be the perfect time to start building a hackintosh on my own ! :headbang:

After many nights, reading tonymacx86 topics, comparing and gathering informations, I'm seeking support from this community. :geek:
CASE : BitFenix Pandora Noir
POWER : Be Quiet 600W Pure Power L8
MOTHERBOARD : Asus Z97M-Plus
CPU : Intel Core i5-4690K
GRAPHICS : Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760
MEMORY : Crucial Ballistix Sport (2x4Gb)
SYSTEM DRIVE : Samsung 840 Evo 250Go (OSX Yosemite)
STORAGE DRIVES : 2 Segate Barracuda 1TB
WIFI CARD : TP Link PCI-E TL-WDN4800
BLUETOOTH DONGLE : Belkin F8T065bf
DVD BURNER : Asus DRW-24F1ST​

Thanks in advance for your comment, advice, approbation.
Long life to Tonymacx86 !
I would change the DVD-RW. I have never had luck with Asus ODD in a PC-Mac. I have had better luck with the Sony Optiarc (hard to find today) and the Pioneer ODDs,'I currently use Pioneer BDR-207DBK in the full sized builds and a LG CT40N half height in the Lian Li case.

So go look for Pioneer or LG drives instead of the Asus.

Thank you Going Bald for your comment.
I'll go for LG or Pioneer then.

I double check and I realized that Pandora case doesn't have any optical bay. :roll2:
As I wish to keep DVD burner, I'll probably switch for Aerocool DS.

Otherwise, do you think the build looks ok ??

Hi LME,

I've just been looking at your other comment in the other thread and popped over to look at this and glad to see you're looking at Z97.

I'm currently looking to build my brother-inlaw a new system and looked at the i5-4690. You may wish to re-think this and bite the bullet and go for an i7. Using a benchmark site (not hard to find) the 4790K has 30% higher benchmark. I know it costs more (about 29% more) but you can then overclock it (although you can overclock the i5).
CPU Graph.jpg
I would also consider a minimum of 16GB of memory rather than your suggested 8GB.

The 2 Seagate drives..unless you're planning to use RAID 0, I would consider the Seagate SSHD 2TB (i.e. the hybrid SSD/HD). That way you get performance and volume albeit without the protection.

Best of luck,

Dz

Thank you dz0rpw.

I spent a lot of time on benchmarks but obviously I missed that point !
The problem if financial, the i7 4790K is €100 (in France at least :rolleyes:) more than the i5 4690K and I doubt it would be much of a change in my daily use.

Also, I thought about 16GB first, then I read that 8GB were enough to run seamlessly what I need.
I'm a music composer and graphics enthusiast. I don't plan to do 3D so far. I might consider changing RAM later.

Finally, first HDD would be for installing Windows (mostly for gaming).
The second is for storage purpose, formatting in Ex-Fat to be used with both systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back