Contribute
Register

Advice with Hackintosh with gigabyte GA-Z170 gaming K3

What Motherboard should I go with?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello people!

I´m gonna be building a Hackintosh a.k.a CustoMac based around the CustoMac Pro June 2016 in this summer (2016) and I need some advice.

1. I would like to know If Gigabyte GA-Z170 gaming K3 is a good choice: I heard that it can be unstable and not reliable, but is a very good choice in price/performance ratio. I´d like to know if I should pick up the Gigabyte GA-Z170X gaming 5 instead... But to say the truth I´d rather pay less, but if necessary I will pay a little more...

2. I could use a little help with picking the PSU a.k.a Power Supply, I calculated that I´l need around 667Watt PSU so I consider the Corsair CX650M as a reliable choice but I am still not sure.

3. I´m not sure what is gonna be my choice in terms of a CPU cooler... I considered the Cooler Master 212 evo but it isn't in the list of parts for CustoMac pro. Can this be an incompatible CPU cooler? I really don´t know...

I´ll welcome any advice.
If I spelled anything wrong please tell me...(I´m from Slovakia and I am 12)

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello people!

I´m gonna be building a Hackintosh a.k.a CustoMac based around the CustoMac Pro June 2016 in this summer (2016) and I need some advice.

1. I would like to know If Gigabyte GA-Z170 gaming K3 is a good choice: I heard that it can be unstable and not reliable, but is a very good choice in price/performance ratio. I´d like to know if I should pick up the Gigabyte GA-Z170X gaming 5 instead... But to say the truth I´d rather pay less, but if necessary I will pay a little more...

2. I could use a little help with picking the PSU a.k.a Power Supply, I calculated that I´l need around 667Watt PSU so I consider the Corsair CX650M as a reliable choice but I am still not sure.

3. I´m not sure what is gonna be my choice in terms of a CPU cooler... I considered the Cooler Master 212 evo but it isn't in the list of parts for CustoMac pro. Can this be an incompatible CPU cooler? I really don´t know...

I´ll welcome any advice.
If I spelled anything wrong please tell me...(I´m from Slovakia and I am 12)

Thanks!

1. I would go ahead and get the GA-Z170X Gaming 5 -- it has more features, ports, and slots that more than make up the $20 difference on Amazon (and it's currently $10 less expensive than the K3 on Newegg!). Of course this is in the US; it may not be the case where you are. But if you've heard the K3 can be unstable and unreliable, that's a very good reason not to buy it even if it does save you a little money.
  2. If your components list is basically the standard CustoMac Pro, the PSU calculator at http://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator says you need a minimum of 313W, so the CX650M is a more than adequate choice. I like Corsair PSUs, have always had good experiences with them.
  3. The Cooler Master Hyper Evo 212 will work fine, despite not being in the Buyer's Guide.
Good luck!

1. I would go ahead and get the GA-Z170X Gaming 5 -- it has more features, ports, and slots that more than make up the $20 difference on Amazon (and it's currently $10 less expensive than the K3 on Newegg!). Of course this is in the US; it may not be the case where you are. But if you've heard the K3 can be unstable and unreliable, that's a very good reason not to buy it even if it does save you a little money.
  2. If your components list is basically the standard CustoMac Pro, the PSU calculator at http://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator says you need a minimum of 313W, so the CX650M is a more than adequate choice. I like Corsair PSUs, have always had good experiences with them.
  3. The Cooler Master Hyper Evo 212 will work fine, despite not being in the Buyer's Guide.
Good luck!
Thanks!

Hello.

Today I successfully installed EL Captain 10.11.6 on Gigabyte Z170 Gaming K3.

I just followed these instructions and it installed smoothly: http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/u...pitan-on-any-supported-intel-based-pc.172672/

But there is no Network (Internet) and I have a display (monitor) issue, since it possibly doesn't recognize it? Is it a matter of the video card? I use GeForce GTX 960 4GB GDDR5.

The OS X does see and shows everything else. How is it possible to make the Internet function?

Thank you.

Last edited:
I have just resolved Network problem by selecting Network: AppleIntelIE1000e v3.3.1 in Multi-Beast Settings.

Now, the only problem is Display. It shows only 1280x1024 resolution without any other options. So, I will work on that now.

I prefer Intel NICs, so for me the K3 would be out.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-04-15 at 15.22.44.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-15 at 15.22.44.png
    420.8 KB · Views: 501
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back