Contribute
Register

Advice searching for a beautiful monitor (iMac like)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z97M-D3H
CPU
i7-4790
Graphics
GTX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Good morning everyone.

In the first place I do believe this is the right place to make the post, but if it's not, please move it, and accept my apologies. *EDIT* Sorry, I think this would have to go on buying advice...

I have a hackintosh, but I do also own a mid 2010 27'' iMac. I've had a long list of problems with the apple pice of *@^ (let's say, hardware), and now the screen starts flickering for the second time in history (I got the imac changed for this reason like when it was almost two years old, just before the waranty was about to expire, not without going into the 50 km away apple store with the giantic and heavy mac a few times and have several discussions with so called "geniuses". FYI I'll list the other problems: the SD card reader does not automount (luckily I found a command that does mount the thing), and the CD drive died in warranty period and was not replaced because Apple said it was a consumable (WTF?).

The thing is, I was thinking that maybe it's time to replace the iMac with a hackintosh (I could also wait to see the new iMacs, but after several problems with several mac products I do NOT trust their hardware: iMac and like 5/6 faulty iPhones). The only real drawback / problem with my hacintosh has been the updates breaking things (which generally exasperates me to the limit, that's the only reason I would buy Apple hardware again). The other reason, which I admit it's not a technical issue, but an aesthetic one. The iMac is beautiful, and the monitor alternatives are ugly. Besides, iMac screen has built in speakers and camera, and it's really rare to find the same in another screens.

TL;DR: So I'm asking if someone knows some monitor that is phisically beautiful. I do understand it will not be as beautiful as an iMac screen, but I aspire to find something close to it.

Thanks for your help, patience, and answers.

Good morning everyone.

In the first place I do believe this is the right place to make the post, but if it's not, please move it, and accept my apologies. *EDIT* Sorry, I think this would have to go on buying advice...

I have a hackintosh, but I do also own a mid 2010 27'' iMac. I've had a long list of problems with the apple pice of *@^ (let's say, hardware), and now the screen starts flickering for the second time in history (I got the imac changed for this reason like when it was almost two years old, just before the waranty was about to expire, not without going into the 50 km away apple store with the giantic and heavy mac a few times and have several discussions with so called "geniuses". FYI I'll list the other problems: the SD card reader does not automount (luckily I found a command that does mount the thing), and the CD drive died in warranty period and was not replaced because Apple said it was a consumable (WTF?).

The thing is, I was thinking that maybe it's time to replace the iMac with a hackintosh (I could also wait to see the new iMacs, but after several problems with several mac products I do NOT trust their hardware: iMac and like 5/6 faulty iPhones). The only real drawback / problem with my hacintosh has been the updates breaking things (which generally exasperates me to the limit, that's the only reason I would buy Apple hardware again). The other reason, which I admit it's not a technical issue, but an aesthetic one. The iMac is beautiful, and the monitor alternatives are ugly. Besides, iMac screen has built in speakers and camera, and it's really rare to find the same in another screens.

TL;DR: So I'm asking if someone knows some monitor that is phisically beautiful. I do understand it will not be as beautiful as an iMac screen, but I aspire to find something close to it.

Thanks for your help, patience, and answers.
Those iMac displays are made by LG. You can make an OK looking monitor look more beautiful, if you can remove its plastic foot and vesa mount it onto a quality stand.

Those iMac displays are made by LG. You can make an OK looking monitor look more beautiful, if you can remove its plastic foot and vesa mount it onto a quality stand.

Interesting. I'll have a look on stands...

thanks for the tip.

*EDIT* The VESA stands I can find are very ugly. Any suggestion? ty

I'd search on google images for 'vesa desktop stand' or somesuch. I expect they look odd pictured on their own and some are just ugly but paired with a nice Dell or NEC display i'm sure you can come up with something...

I can't find anything remarkable

vesa desktop stand

I don't think I want to get into apple second hand hardware. If bought one is faulty I don't want to think about it.

Apple's keyboard and mouse. I left mine in their box.

I like them. The problem comes when the cordless mouse falls from the desktop and you have to replace it for another 90€ one. :( Or when the Keyboard suddenly stops working (some letters) and you have to change it for 60-70€. It's not very funny, and both things happened to me.

I like them. The problem comes when the cordless mouse falls from the desktop and you have to replace it for another 90€ one. :( Or when the Keyboard suddenly stops working (some letters) and you have to change it for 60-70€. It's not very funny, and both things happened to me.
I much prefer a mouse with a decent sensor and at least 3 buttons. Also their UK keyboard layout is not a UK layout for whatever reason. I used a cheap Windows key keyboard until i could afford one of these - you can send them exactly what you want printed on each key - i guess it really depends on what programs you are using and how much of what it is you are typing.

I think the solution is just so put your Screen on a flat wall-mount. It will always look good... :)

Check mine.

Its a DELL U3415w.

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_1552.jpg
    IMG_1552.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 295
  • IMG_1572.jpg
    IMG_1572.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 288
  • IMG_1574.jpg
    IMG_1574.jpg