i7-6950x
Graphics
Radeon 6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey there,

I've been somewhat out of the loop in the Hackintosh world since I built my current rig back in 2018. I'm currently in the process of reading up and familiarizing myself on all the changes that have happened since between OpenCore, OS updates, and hardware support in particular. I'm hoping to get some feedback on the changes I need to make to bring my rig up to date, especially since this list is pretty daunting. I ran into an issue recently when I realized I wasn't able to upgrade past High Sierra since I have an Nvidia graphics card. I finally managed to get my hands on a 6800 XT which means I need to go straight to Big Sur for driver support.

This is the list of things I'm hoping to accomplish, and I'd love any thoughts on the best order in which to go about them:
- Switch 1080ti gpu for 6800xt
- Migrate from Clover to OpenCore
- Update from High Sierra straight to Big Sur (which is required for 6800xt)

This is my current game plan based on my research:
1) Migrate from Clover to OpenCore on my current install (High Sierra) via USB boot
2) Prepare working OpenCore EFI folder to get Big Sur installer to boot using new graphics card (6800 xt)
3) Install Big Sur on separate Volume than High Sierra, allowing dual boot while testing
4) Bug test and address any issues that may come up
5) Wait until stable to switch completely from old graphics card / High Sierra to new graphics card / Big Sur

Here is the original guide I followed back when it was a High Sierra guide.

Any thoughts?

I recently read somewhere in tonymac's forums that AMD had not yet released a driver for the RX 6800 series ("Navi 22.") Is that info out of date? The RX 5800 ("Navi 21") does work on Big Sur for sure, though.

@wstrohm You are slightly behind in the news, the drivers for the RX6800, RX6800 XT and RX6900 XT are now included in Big Sur, since 11.4. There are no drivers for the RX6600 or RX6700 cards at present.

@psymbionic you need to follow the Clover to OpenCore conversion guide - https://github.com/dortania/OpenCore-Install-Guide/tree/master/clover-conversion

You will need to update to the latest version of Big Sur for the RX6800 XT to work.

You may find that there is little support for your X99 system in Big Sur. Your system may work better in Catalina, but that would mean the RX6800XT would be unusable.

If you need to stick with Catalina then the selection of an RX5000-series AMD discrete graphics card would be advisable.

You need to check that your X99 system will work with Big Sur before you purchase a new graphics card.

You are slightly behind in the news, the drivers for the RX6800, RX6800 XT and RX6900 XT are now included in Big Sur, since 11.4. There are no drivers for the RX6600 or RX6700 cards at present.
Thank you for the update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back