Contribute
Register

Advice on Double First time builds - PLEASE !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MBPR 15"
CPU
I7 2.3
Graphics
Intel HD4000
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi All,

First post and first venture into a hacktosh build. I am trying to stay as close to the Customac pro builds as possible. Below i have dropped in a full list of both intended builds.

First is for work where i have a need to serve about twenty people running on a light CRM system (x2 CRM) and i think this is far more than capable.This will have to run win7 until i am confident enough to migrate this over to virtualbox on top of osx.

Second is my personal home machine which is intended to be based in Mavericks and be able to easily run a couple of VM's.

Graphics are not of huge interest. On the work build i will opt for budget and on the home i will stick with on board leaving the option for upgrading if needed later.

I just have a couple of simple questions

1. Will these components all fit together nicely
  2. Is the water cooling necessary or would maybe a standard fan be sufficient
  3. will i be able to utilise the fan controller on case or will i need extra kit for this
  4. is there a massive difference in real world performance in these to specs

Home

GA-Z87X-UD5H

Intel Core i7-4770K

16GB 1600Mhz DDR3

SATA 6Gb/s 240GB SSD

Corsair 650 Watt Modular

Corsair H60 (Water)

Corsair Graphite 600T – White

Work

GA-X79S-UP5

Intel Core i7-3820
(4 core)

16GB 1600Mhz DDR3

SATA 6Gb/s 240GB SSD

Corsair H60 (Water)

Corsair Graphite 600T – Black

Corsair RM750 Fully Modular 750W 80+ Gold PSU
Gigabyte NVIDIA GTX650 1GB DDR5 PCI-E Graphics Card

I intend on buying this in the next couple of days so any input or constructive advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

What is the reasoning behind the work build with the I7-3820 as opposed to a home
build with a 4770K?

Hi TRS96,

Speed/stability and 10MB cache although I am thinking maybe i could just produce 2 of the home build and have more of a level playing field in regards to my learning curve and reproducing results on both units.

Would that be a fair shout ??

Instead of the work server running OS X why not just build a Windows Server without a VM ?

The socket 1150 Haswell builds are much easier than the socket 2011 pro builds are for
a beginner wanting to run OS X. If you're going to use a windows server at work I'd go
with a Xeon, a lot more ram and a server motherboard. The GA-X79S has a server chipset
but is not really intended for business use. I'd spend less on the board and get more
ram than 16gb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back