Contribute
Register

Advice on correct guide to follow? Currently running Mojave and want to create a new partition for windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte ga-z97x-ud5h
CPU
Intel i7-4790K
Graphics
Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac Pro
Extreme noob, but I want to create a new bootable partition for windows AFTER all of my initial setup. I would like to use the same ssd drive, but I’m so scared I’ll break my system. I can’t figure out which guide to follow, so please can anyone help a noob out and point me in the right direction?

Extreme noob, but I want to create a new bootable partition for windows AFTER all of my initial setup. I would like to use the same ssd drive, but I’m so scared I’ll break my system. I can’t figure out which guide to follow, so please can anyone help a noob out and point me in the right direction?
best to use 2 separate hard drives

I've done the other way around: installing first Windows (8.1 in my case), then resize the NTFS partition (you can easily divide the drive in two equal partitions). Create a MacOS partition (in my case HFS, but should work in APFS if you stick to Mojave, at least), then install Mojave — or clone your existing partition.
In your case, you can clone your existing Mojave first (to a sparsebundle it's ok, but you might prefer on a real partition for you to check that it boots there).
But of course, Feartech's suggestion is the easiest way for an "Extreme noob"... ;)

best to use 2 separate hard drives
Yes, definitely going this route. Still trying to find a beginner friendly walkthrough on how to do this. If I understand, I use Rufus to create a UEFI Windows Install on a flash drive, unplug mojave drive, plug in new ssd, boot windows install, plug back in mojave, then clover will automatically detect both and I can choose?

Yes, definitely going this route. Still trying to find a beginner friendly walkthrough on how to do this. If I understand, I use Rufus to create a UEFI Windows Install on a flash drive, unplug mojave drive, plug in new ssd, boot windows install, plug back in mojave, then clover will automatically detect both and I can choose?
think with opencore it is a little easier

i don't actually multi boot but the pinned guides should be of some help:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back