Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey Guys,

Let me first say that I love my current iMac and I think it is a wonderful machine however the storage limitations and lack of upgradeability have lead me to build myself a Hackintosh. This machine will be used primarliy to process large photo files in Capture One Pro 7 and Adobe Photoshop CC/CS6 sometimes I have 80 to 90 photo files open at once so processing can get intense. I am new to pc building especially Hackintosh builds. I would love to hear any advice you can give me regarding the compatibility of these components before I buy.

My goal in this build is to have a Hackintosh made with high quality components, improved performance, more storage and upgrade flexibility options while still running reliable and stable. Once I have everything working I can add more hard drive storage and memory etc. as I grow.

I chose a Haswell based motherboard and processor over a socket 2011 system because I thought it would be easier for a first time Hackintosh to build and install. I also wanted to use a chip that was nativley running in current apple hardware. In addition I would like to use my current mid (2010) 27" iMac as a monitor for my new Hackintosh by connecting via the Graphics Card (there may be a better way to connect... Your input is welcome here).

I've put together a list of what I considered quality components based on research that I believe should be compatible with my build.

*CPU - Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor

*CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X40 98.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

*Motherboard - Asus Z97-WS ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

*Memory - G.Skill Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory

*Storage - 2x Intel 530 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk Raid 0 config

Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

*Video Card - EVGA GeForce GTX 770 4GB Dual Classified ACX Video Card

*Case - NZXT H440 (White/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case

*Power Supply - SeaSonic Platinum 1000W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (It's more power than I need but it gives me room to grow)

*Wireless Network Adapter - TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter

Thanks

This would be the best choice for a PSU for your build:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151102

With a 1000 watt PSU you would be spending more money for wattage you'll never use.
The Seasonic X series are more affordable and have a 7 yr. warranty.

Or for 20 dollars more you can go with this 860W platinum rated version:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151105

If you run an online PSU calculator for your build plus two 780 Ti's water cooling and 3 more
HDDs you'll find that even then the recommended wattage is under 700 so an 850 or 860W
version gives plenty of room to expand. The new Cylinder Mac Pros operate on just a 500W
Platinum rated PSU and have no problems with two power hungry Radeon cards and a 12
core Xeon Cpu.

Thank you TRS96,

I think I will scale back the wattage on my power supply and save a little cash as well. Hopefully everything else on the list checks out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back