Graphics
GTX 680
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I have a 2009 Mac Pro with a GTX 680 with dual quad core xenon 2.8 processors and 8 Gig of ram. I want to upgrade but the new Mac Pro's are too expensive. I tested the 8 core mac with 32 gig of ram on an After Effects green screen project I was working on and it rendered 5 times faster than my Mac Pro so I know the power is there. In the Buyers guide section I came up with an i7 build that seemed good to me but since it only has one quad core I was concerned that it would be slower than my existing platform. Do I have to go with a 2011 Socketed board with Xenons or will an i7 render and do what I need to do. I work mostly with Red Digital files. Here is the build I am looking at and Thunderbolt would be a huge plus.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-UD7 TH LGA 1150 Intel Z97 with Thunderbolt 2
(One or two via SLI) EVGA SuperClocked 02G-P4-2765-KR G-SYNC Support GeForce GTX 760 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support w/ EVGA

Intel Core i7-4790K Haswell Quad-Core 4.0GHz LGA 1150 Desktop Processor BX80646I74790K

2x (32 Gig total) G.SKILL Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200) Desktop Memory Model F3-2400C10D-16GTX

Crucial M550 CT1024M550SSD1 2.5" 1TB SATA 6Gb/s MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Last edited:
If you want to get performance closer to that of the 8C new MacPro you tried out,
the I7-5930K is your best choice. It's not that much more expensive than the I7-
4790K. It's got six cores and 12 threads and can easily be overclocked.

You don't have to use a Xeon with a socket 2011 CustoMac. There are also Thunderbolt
add in cards made by Asus that will give you Thunderbolt II via a PCI-e slot.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813995027

The DDR4 ram is more expensive and likely the motherboard too but if you are using your
system for professional work it's worth spending more on more capable hardware.

Once the Mac Pro gets a refresh there will be Kernel support and many guides /user builds
to follow for an X99 system. We're not sure when that will be but you can always install
Windows first on it's own drive and add OS X later (on a separate drive) when there is full support. Haven't tried it yet but I believe that Windows via Paralells will work fine on a CustoMac running OS X.

Do some research on this site to learn what X99 systems and capable of and
determine if you want to follow that direction for your new build.

If AE and Premiere etc. use your graphics card then you may want to look into upgrading that first, and your ram.
Per core you should have at least 2GB of memory. Un your case with dual quad core xeons I would say 16Gb is a minimum.
There is at least one site mentioned here on the board that lists the graphics card performance in FCP. If I remember well the ATI gfx cards did well. I know the gtx680 is a beast but it may not be the best for what you use it for.
On my Obiwan Shinobi hack I chose for the Gtx 660 for ease of setup,but I know it is not the most permormant card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back