Contribute
Register

Advice on a music sound system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ooops...sorry - I forgot. You would be running HDMI, so no need for the optical audio connection. HDMI will pass digital audio to your A/V receiver & the Yamaha D/A will do the conversion.

I would say build the system as you go. Get a 2.0 Audio Bronze BX2 speaker system now, then as more money comes along, begin to expand to a 5.1. Were you asking about the Event Opals for your situation? I would suggest against it. They are extremely "flat" sounding, which is not the typical EQ profile that folks enjoy for casual listening or watching TVs/movies. They are designed to be used in an acoustically treated space like a recording studio or radio/TV control room.

The speakers that you originally mentioned I think would be a great way to go and not bust the bank. :D

Happy new year!!!

Although wasn't so happy yesterday,

just got off the phone from a hi fi store, now I'm even more confused,
he recommended the hi fi amp yamaha A-s500 over the av rx-v473 amp for much better sound, but the a/v amp would suit my situation better as my tv audio is poor, and hdmi switching ability.

when it came to speakers, i asked about wall brackets for the monitor audio bx2, replied there were a little big for mounting but its possible. and then suggested an offer on monitor audio vector 5.1 which is this i think, http://www.whathifi.com/review/monitor-audio-vector-av10 at about $410 because there end of line stock.

so could sound quality differ that much between the av amp with 5.1 vector/monitor audio bx2 versus the hi fi amp with monitor audio bx2.

i might just have to go to the store to get a demo to find out, cant see any way round it. ill lose a whole day over it. damn it anyway.

how bad could av amp be with only two speakers

confused again

Probably the single-most important component to getting your music to sound the way you want it: SPEAKERS (followed closely behind by a nicely treated acoustical environment in which to listen). You can have all the great hi-fi gear with uber-killer specs, but if you have crap speakers, you're gonna get crap :thumbup: It's the speakers that turn the signal into what your ears eventually hear.
Sure thing, but speakers are only the last step in the chain. Any preceding part in the chain can have a serious impact on sound quality.

Some time ago I was listening to Future Sound of London's 'We Have Explosive pt 5', one of my all-time favorite tracks, on my Behringer budget studio monitors and immediately felt there was something very wrong with the low end. Turned out that for once I was using the mini-jack audio out of my macbookpro instead of the MOTU 828mk2 firewire audio interface I usually use. The audio quality difference was huge.

Just to say that shelling out for hi-q speakers while neglecting the other parts - especially the digital-analog-converter (DAC) - is useless. If you're using HDMI audio it's going to be the receiver doing the DAC work so make sure that's a decent one.

About speakers, there's some very nice sound to be had from home/small-studio monitor speakers. You might wanna check that also. Active ones have amplifiers built-in so no need to worry about that.

Sure thing, but speakers are only the last step in the chain. Any preceding part in the chain can have a serious impact on sound quality.

Some time ago I was listening to Future Sound of London's 'We Have Explosive pt 5', one of my all-time favorite tracks, on my Behringer budget studio monitors and immediately felt there was something very wrong with the low end. Turned out that for once I was using the mini-jack audio out of my macbookpro instead of the MOTU 828mk2 firewire audio interface I usually use. The audio quality difference was huge.

Just to say that shelling out for hi-q speakers while neglecting the other parts - especially the digital-analog-converter (DAC) - is useless. If you're using HDMI audio it's going to be the receiver doing the DAC work so make sure that's a decent one.

About speakers, there's some very nice sound to be had from home/small-studio monitor speakers. You might wanna check that also. Active ones have amplifiers built-in so no need to worry about that.

Thanks for the insights. Just to clarify - you missed part of our conversation that we did via PM when one of my original posts didn't show up. That's exactly the idea I suggested initially - pass audio to the A/V receiver via TOSLINK optical from the mobo & let the A/V receiver's D/A converters do the heavy lifting. Now it appears he'll do that via HDMI - either way, the D/A on the motherboard was never part of the equation in our initial discussions.

Plus please understand - I never suggested neglecting other parts of the signal chain. The OP was mentioning a couple home theater A/V receiver and/or preamp/amp combos, so good quality pre's and amp were always part of the discussion from the start. All I was suggesting was a formula whereby you would not be neglecting the importance of quality speakers when setting up a new system (which is too often the case).

:mrgreen:

boomr has already stated the importance of using the DAC in the receiver, have you seen the models i was looking at the yamaha as500 hi fi amp and the yamaha rxv473, the question is will there be much of a difference with 2.0 sound between the these two with "monitor audio bronze bx2"

will speakers of this class be wasted on the rxv473.

but the salesman was suggesting that theres two different roads one for music one for surround sound and for my situation the av receiver would suit best but id be taking a hit on audio quality

Sorry, I don't know about hifi equipment. I'm more into studio hardware/technology...
ok thanks anyway
from what i read theres quite a difference between home equipment and studio ones for hiding faults the others for finding faults (granted a over simplification)

Right got the yamaha rx-v473 a/v receiver, brought the wife to the hi fi store, whom decided the bx2's were too big. was not very impressed
but while we were there we listened to the bx2's and the bx5"s for me there was a vast difference between them the bx5s were superior. but get this she then decided that the bx5's were acceptable even though they are twice the size (women ill never understand), anyway they where out of stock and ive got them on order.

any thoughts on speaker cable, the guy in the store seems to think various cables of quality and design sound different, i cant help thinking at some level it wouldnt have an effect anymore.

ive hooked up to some old speakers i had lying around, its hard to believe i put up with the sound quality before, and i havnt even got the good speakers yet.
itunes seems to have good sound quality through the hdmi of my customac mini 2011.

Hey mate...sorry for the delay in reply... day job has been kicking my arse... At any rate, just know that the longer your cable runs are, the larger gauge wire you need. I'm sort of partial to the Monster brand speaker cable. If you've got $3k-$4kUS wrapped up in components, then yes, you would want to spend a comparable amount on really REALLY high-end cable.

But for simple HQ audio as a big step-up from what you currently have, there's not as much of a return on your money for investing in super high-quality speaker cable. Of course a salesperson who works on commission or is trying to make their sales numbers is really going to push you towards getting some really expensive speaker cables. Just use common sense & your best judgement against your budget or bank account & you'll be JUST fine!

right got speaking to the store manager yesterday as i found another store selling the speakers for less and i asked him would match the price. he did so its not so bad i had to wait for them as it gave me time to shop around. any way i asked him about cable and he said its relative to the quality of the equipment so he suggested Cambridge audio ultra micro, or symphony 400 to suit what im getting.

im getting great use out of the airplay functions and the controller apps for ipad and android really makes it worth it to have all the music ive collected over the years at my fingertips

thanks for the advice again boomr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back