Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
[advice needed] gtx 780, Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC, i7 4770k or i7 4790k (Dual Boot)

Advice needed: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC - Core i7 4770K - Asus GTX 780 (GK110B) - Dual Boot

Components
I7 4770k
Amazon

Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC Desktop Motherboard
Amazon

GTX780-DC2OC-3GB5
Amazon

Introduction and questions

Hello everyone :),

So you probably could see, i am quite new to this forum. I have been reading a lot of the forums for a while, but i finally decided to make a account to get some advice. In a few weeks I want to build my first hackintosh, this are the main components i want to choose:
Asus gtx 780 (GK110B), Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC, i7 4770k.

However i read that the rev. B could give some problems, and i was wondering if there are already completely fixed. I saw that people could fix OpenCL but then CUDA would be lost.

Since I want to make a dual boot, of triple boot I am debating if i should go with 3 separate SSD's or if i could use one large SSD.
Currently i am thinking about making a dual boot with 2 SSD's for the operating systems:
250GB for OSX, will contain full adobe suite.
500GB for windows, since these will have more games.
What is your advice? use multple SSD's, or use one?

Next i come to the HDD, i want to be able to shift files around between the Hackintosh and the Windows. Is this possible with a HDD, and which mode should i put it on? Or should i use a external HDD, this will be the easiest option, but not the fastest.

If i want to install windows 7 and 8 (triple boot), i should pre-partition the SSD before installing the first windows? Or can I still do this later? when i installed the first windows.

And least, i heard the i7 4790K inst completely stable with OSX? Or is there a good fix? if not, i will just keep the i7 4770k as plan. :)

I hope i could receive some advice, thanks for all the advice! :)

Always best to have separate HDD/SSD for each OS.
For sharing, suggest a HDD 1Tb or smaller formatted MBR FAT32. This is read/write for both OS X and Windows any version.

Oke, thanks for the advice to keep the OS separated. :)
But, you say: keep the HDD (file sharing one) smaller then 1TB.
Can i do this with a partision? so i can have 4x 1tb on my HDD? or do i need 4 time a 1tb HDD?

Oke, thanks for the advice to keep the OS separated. :)
But, you say: keep the HDD (file sharing one) smaller then 1TB.
Can i do this with a partision? so i can have 4x 1tb on my HDD? or do i need 4 time a 1tb HDD?

The problem is with the MBR FAT32 spec, although on the new 4k drives this may no longer be a problem.
From the Wiki - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Allocation_Table

"The boot sector uses a 32-bit field for the sector count, limiting the FAT32 volume size to 2 TiB for a sector size of 512 bytes and 16 TiB for a sector size of 4,096 bytes"

This seems to me to say you can format a volume 16 Terrabyte in size on a 4k sector drive FAT32. AFAIK, they don't yet make HDD/SSDs this large. I would be interested in finding out if the new large drives, say 3 or 4 TB can actually be formatted FAT32 in a single volume, but I have no need for a drive that large and don't want to blow the cash on something I probably will not use.

Windows, on the other hand, will not format a FAT32 volume larger than 32GB. I have USB 3.0flash drives larger than this!

Another downside to FAT32 is the file size limit of 4Gb minus 1 bit. Some raw footage is much larger than this.

You have to make the decision for storage that will fit your needs.

Thanks for the information. I think i will go with the following:
1x SSD 500gb for windows 7 & 8.
1x SSD 250gb for OSX MAC
1x HHD 4tb with 3tb in FAT and 500gb storage for OSX and 500gb windows which has no limited file size. Just in case if i need it once.

The SSD for windows will get 350Gb for W7 and 150GB for W8, since windows 8 will only be used for excel based programs. Which will gain a 10% boot compared to W7. Since i work with excel sheets which take over 30sec to calculate sometimes, this 10% is sometimes wanted. :)

If the forum is interested in a build log from my pc, i will post it here. I will build the PC in a Parvum case, and will water cool the CPU.

What about exFAT for the external drive?

Well, i am tryint to avoid extern drives. :) the following reasons:
- Dont like to have a lot of seperate devices on my desk.
- (most of the times) slower then a HDD (intern)

But thanks for the suggestion. :D

What about exFAT for the external drive?

exFAT is very unforgiving of errors and easily corrupted by Windows. I would not recommend it for any drive containing anything important.

I didnt know. Thanks for the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back