Motherboard
Gigabyte Z87M-D3H
CPU
i5-4570 @ 3.20GHz
Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hello. I've been running MacOS on my desktop PC for quite some time. But when I tried High Sierra I experienced the glitch problem (discussed here) and had to downgrade to Sierra.

I have waited for glitch issue to be resolved by new versions of MacOS but there isn't a step forward still. Now I am going to replace my GPU. I am using my computer mostly for working so it'd be awesome if new GPU would work out of the box without much of a hassle (but I can also go with some configuration, if I have to).

My system has (other details are on my signature):
Gigabyte Z87M-D3H motherboard
GTX660 GPU
Two displays: 24'' 1920x1080, 17'' 1440x900

I found a used ZOTAC GTX 1050 (there are also ASUS GTX 1050 and MSI GTX 1050, I don't know the difference :/) for about $130. Would it work? If yes, which brand should I buy, is there a difference?

Or is there any other GPU models you can recommend for about the same prices? I don't want to spend a lot just to replace my already working one.

Help! :)

I found a used ZOTAC GTX 1050 (there are also ASUS GTX 1050 and MSI GTX 1050, I don't know the difference :/) for about $130. Would it work? If yes, which brand should I buy, is there a difference?
I'd also consider used GTX960/970 if you can get a good deal at auction. Any brand should be OK, you can always search the forum for any issues concerning a specific make or model before you buy.

I'd also consider used GTX960/970 if you can get a good deal at auction. Any brand should be OK, you can always search the forum for any issues concerning a specific make or model before you buy.
I've did research about GTX1050 and if I got it right I have to use web drivers for GTX1050. Is GTX960 or GTX970 has native support?

I am trying to figure out the buyer's guide. GTX1050 is listed under the most recent buyer's guide. Does it work out of the box? Also, how can I understand that if it is compatible with my motherboard?

Out of the Box - No, you also need the additional nvidia drivers. Your motherboard has a PCIex16 slot close to the CPU that is compatible with all cards in the buyers guide. :thumbup:

To give some more context the following quote from the Buyers guide was in reference to a point in time when nvidia made publicly available the nvidia drivers for the latest 'Pascal' cards. There was a period of time when these cards were not supported in macOS for a number of months after first release.
[quote = Buyers Guide]EDIT: As of Tuesday, April 11th, NVIDIA ‘Pascal’ graphics cards are now fully supported![/quote]

Hope that clarifies everything.:thumbup:

I've did research about GTX1050 and if I got it right I have to use web drivers for GTX1050. Is GTX960 or GTX970 has native support?
They all require the web driver.

I am trying to figure out the buyer's guide. GTX1050 is listed under the most recent buyer's guide. Does it work out of the box? Also, how can I understand that if it is compatible with my motherboard?

All NVidia pascal card works with a required web drivers.

For native support, there is the RX 580 of AMD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back