Graphics
RX 5700
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hello, all!

So I've been using my 2015-built system, "The Diva", which I've done a build thread on here for, and I'm looking to build a new system soon.

This is an odd/exciting time in the PC component world, with Kaby Lake being the most supported late-model CPU available, the very recent release of Coffee Lake from Intel (albeit, not in Mac products yet), and even growing support for Mac OS running on Ryzen CPUs, as well as Xeon options.

This is why I'm turning to the buying advice thread for, well, exactly that.. buying advice.

I'm a professional photographer in the Seattle area and my 4690K has been doing very well, but recently I have been shooting 4K video and render times are fairly lackluster, even compared to my 2016 Core i5 27" 5K iMac at work.

Needless to say, it's about time to buy all new components for a new build and I'm looking for something that can render video in FCPX blazingly fast, as well as process Lightroom photos. What do you suggest for CPU choice right now in the sub-$400 range?

All input is welcomed. Intel 7th gen, 8th Gen, Xeon, etc. Thanks everyone

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello, all!

So I've been using my 2015-built system, "The Diva", which I've done a build thread on here for, and I'm looking to build a new system soon.

This is an odd/exciting time in the PC component world, with Kaby Lake being the most supported late-model CPU available, the very recent release of Coffee Lake from Intel (albeit, not in Mac products yet), as well as Xeon options.

This is why I'm turning to the buying advice thread for, well, exactly that.. buying advice.

I'm a professional photographer in the Seattle area and my 4690K has been doing very well, but recently I have been shooting 4K video and render times are fairly lackluster, even compared to my 2016 Core i5 27" 5K iMac at work.

Needless to say, it's about time to buy all new components for a new build and I'm looking for something that can render video in FCPX blazingly fast, as well as process Lightroom photos. What do you suggest for CPU choice right now in the sub-$400 range?

All input is welcomed. Intel 7th gen, 8th Gen, Xeon, etc. Thanks everyone
Intel i7-8700K is highly recommended due to its 6 cores/12 threads for video editing.

Intel i7-8700K is highly recommended due to its 6 cores/12 threads for video editing.
That is what I’m leaning towards but Macs don’t have Coffee Lake yet unfortunately.

That is what I’m leaning towards but Macs don’t have Coffee Lake yet unfortunately.
The 8700K is completely sold out here in the USA. As soon as some are available I'm certain there will be some guides for a Z370 system with High Sierra. It will require a fake CPU ID at first but eventually I'd estimate that Apple will put one into an iMac. So many people use those 5K models for photo and video editing that would benefit from the extra cores/threads. It only makes sense for Apple to do a Coffee Lake refresh in 2018. The HD graphics (630) are the same as on the 7700K so no problems there. The Z370 chipset is nearly identical to the Z270. Should not be a problem to run High Sierra on one.

Do you think the current CustoMac build with i7-7700K and GTX 1070 graphics card would be able for 4K video editing ?? Or would I be better waiting for a CustoMac build with the 8th Gen CPU's ? I'm a complete beginner so don't want chance the i7-8700K without a proper guide and parts list.

Do you think the current CustoMac build with i7-7700K and GTX 1070 graphics card would be able for 4K video editing ?? Or would I be better waiting for a CustoMac build with the 8th Gen CPU's ? I'm a complete beginner so don't want chance the i7-8700K without a proper guide and parts list.

I would ditch the Nvidia and go with an AMD GPU. I just swapped out my old GTX 770 4GB for an AMD RX 570.

BruceX render benchmark shows a nice gain:

Nvidia GTX 770 - 1:04
RX 570 - :20

Also, you don't have to worry about Nvidia driver issues when updating now that AMD GPUs are native to Mac OS.

Skylake-X should be also reliable, the X299 platform offers evolutive configuration too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back