Contribute
Register

Advice for a G4 cube mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Thierry

The touch power switch needs a 5VSB source to work. It seems that your motherboard doesn't have a 5VSB line (My Thunderbolt NUC doesn't have it either)

There are at least two options to overcome this:

-use a wide input picopsu ( cons: expensive, takes space. Pros: provides additional voltages)
-use a DC- DC downconverter to get 5VSB from the 19V input. ( pros: very cheap & small )

I have tried both successfully.

Please be aware that you may not be able to use the original power switch due to a lack of space.
Several builds used an Edisen touch power switch. Take a look at mactester & ersterhernd builds.

Hope it helps
F

Thank you IcubeFan

if i understand it is a 5V wich is never off when you switch off the power of the cube

the dc dc converter is really a good idea cause i think i can put it in the original supply box with the new 19v supply then i have nothing to sold on the motherboard ( in case of warranty )

this one look good ?

http://www.electrome.fr/produits/produits/alim/meanwell/images/scw03-spec.gif

for the switch i will use an edisen i think

Merci :)

if i understand it is a 5V wich is never off when you switch off the power of the cube

that's right

the dc dc converter is really a good idea cause i think i can put it in the original supply box with the new 19v supply then i have nothing to sold on the motherboard ( in case of warranty )

You don't need to solder anything to your mobo.
You can obtain the 19 V by splitting your DC power cable into 2 19V lines. One ends with the DC connector that plugs into the mobo and the other goes to the DC-DC converter

Check also your internal power connector. ( 2 pin white connector) maybe you can obtain the 19V from there.

It looks ok to me but I' m not an expert . I can only recommend the one I used.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Adjustab...LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43ae4818c9&_uhb=1

thank you very much for the answer

i will order the DC converter allready

and you right for the DC19V there is a plug on the motherboard then it will be easier to fix it

another last question about the main transformer supply ,do you think 150 watt will be enough for supply the cube or i will need more power

Final Order

i made my final order

motherboard gigabyte GA-H87TN

processor I5 4670K with HD4600

zalman low profile ventirad

one 8GO ram 1600 (after i will get an other one)

for the test i will use a ssd 120 gb sandisk that i own

for the dvd im searching one on ebay or alibaba

i will borough to my work a dell transformer 230w and if i can keep it i will try to place it on the original supply box

tomorrow i will begin to take off the original board from the cube

certainly use epoxy for pcb if i need to build support for the board

all your realisation will help me and i really thank you for all the training an tuto and picture off all the people wich will help me to make my first cube good

thank you very much for the answer

another last question about the main transformer supply ,do you think 150 watt will be enough for supply the cube or i will need more power

By looking at mods using the same or a similar motherboard I would say 150 watts it's enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back